Nicole's Reviews > The Midnights

The Midnights by Sarah Nicole Smetana

F 50x66

liked it
bookshelves: teen-fiction

The thing that first enticed me about The Midnights was the combination of the book cover and the title. The second thing that captured my interest was synopsis of the book. Upon reading the synopsis of the book, I thought The Midnights would be a story of a girl discovering herself through loss and pain and maybe finding a side through herself that she was too afraid to unleash. I didn't quite get that in this book and that's both a bad and a good thing. A bad thing because it seemed as if the character became self destructive throughout the book and sometimes just made poor decisions in regards to her life. I don't mind self destructive characters but I don't like when the self destructive characters lives seem to be put back together almost magically. The character's problems weren't exactly put together that magically but their were problems that never seemed to be solved, but were written off almost as if they were. It's hard to explain but this book was just not as satisfying as I wish it were. However the good thing I will say is that I think that this book is a pretty good coming of age story. It also did a really good job of showcasing a character that was mourning the loss of a parent and finding a way to relieve the pain. Also even though the plot was a bit lacking, the writing it self was pretty good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Midnights.

June 18, 2018 – Started Reading