Minnie's Reviews > Skippy Dies

Skippy Dies by Paul Murray

Dec 04, 2011

I have just finished "Skippy dies", read by Patrick Moy and written by Paul Murray. I do not have sufficient superlatives to wax lyrical about this book. It was extremely well read, the various characters created by a slight speech impediment here or a grating tone that evoked memories of similar unpleasant people that have entered my hearing space. The headmaster, or rather the acting headmaster is an excellent vocal creation. I could see the spit fly every time he spoke.
The story was everything a good story should be, funny sad romantic and yes, disgusting and shocking. The minds of 14 year old boys are very very singleminded, it's preoccupied with sex. The interpretation of "the Road less Travelled" alone merits a read of this book.
This book made me think about many aspects of life, the value of truth, the "need" to cover up and adult perceptions versus the world of the child. It also provoked musings about what a good book is. Just prior to this book I had read another book, one that I enjoyed whilst reading it but once I thought about it I realized it was inadequate. A good book lingers and Skippy and his friends will stay with me, filling my mind at odd moment, as good books certainly do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skippy Dies.

Margitte Great summary, Minnie. Love your comment: "The story was everything a good story should be, funny sad romantic and yes, disgusting and shocking."