Melissa Rose's Reviews > The Summer Getaway

The Summer Getaway by Tilly Tennant

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2018

I feel guilty rating this particular novel a three because, in the past, I have been blown away by anything that Tilly Tennant writes; she has a magical way of creating a beautiful book that is full of loveable and realistic characters and scenarios.

However, as a Tilly Tennant fan, I have to admit that The Summer Getaway wasn't my most favourite book by the author.

That isn't to say that I didn't enjoy the story; the book itself was well-written, and descriptions of Southern France were gorgeous.

But alas, the trouble was that I found a few of the main characters to be distinctly unlikeable. Ashley spent way too much time waffling on how to tell Haydon her secret, and Ashley's Mum spent much of the novel bitching to Ashley while giving Haydon cruel looks. As a reader, it got to be frustrating at times.

Overall while this wasn’t the top of my list of favourite Tilly Tennant books, I still enjoyed the reading experience. It is entirely possible that I stayed up until 4 am to finish the novel in one sitting. I was satisfied with the ending.

I would likely recommend this novel to other fans of the chick-lit genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer Getaway.

June 18, 2018 – Shelved