Kilikina's Reviews > Shadow and Bone

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Dec 03, 2011

bookshelves: badass, no-words-just-tears, swoon-worthy, speechless, love-love-love, favorite-couple

...I don't even know what to say right now. I kind of wish my tears could transform into words because I don't even know where to start.

This book captivated me, ripped my heart out, and then embedded its self in me. I can't stop thinking about it. It's just beautiful.
It's that kind of book.

Lets just make this clear: this is going to be one of, if not my favorite book of 2012 and has secured a spot as one of my all time favorites. Straight into my 'all-time-favorites' shelf it goes.

This series had better get recognition and blow up the book scene because it's nothing short of amazing. Anddd it's pretty safe to say the wait for this sequel will be torture...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow and Bone.

Quotes Kilikina Liked

Leigh Bardugo
“I don't care if you danced naked on the roof of the Little Palace with him. I love you, Alina, even the part of you that loved him.”
tags: love, mal

Leigh Bardugo
“Do you blame me for every mistake I made? For every girl I tumbled? For every dumb thing I've said? Because if we start running tallies on stupid, you know who's going to come out ahead.”
tags: mal

Leigh Bardugo
“The moment our lips met, I knew with pure and piercing certainty that I would have waited for him forever.”

Leigh Bardugo
“This was his soul made flesh, the truth of him laid bare in the blazing sun, shorn of mystery and shadow. This was the truth behind the handsome face and the miraculous powers, the truth that was the dead and empty space between the stars, a wasteland peopled by frightened monsters.”

Leigh Bardugo
“I missed you every hour. And you know what the worst part was? It caught me completely by surprise. I'd catch myself just walking around to find you, not for any reason, just out of habit, because I'd seen something that I wanted to tell you about or because I wanted to hear your voice. And then I'd realize that you weren't there anymore, and every time, every single time, it was like having the wind knocked out of me. I've risked my life for you. I've walked half the length of Ravka for you, and I'd do it again and again and again just to be with you, just to starve with you and freeze with you and hear you complain about hard cheese every day. So don't tell me why we don't belong together," he said fiercely.”
tags: mal

Leigh Bardugo
“They are orphans again, with no true home but each other and whatever life they can make together on the other side of the sea.”

Leigh Bardugo
“The thought filled me with grief, grief for the dreams we'd shared, for the love I'd felt, for the hopeful girl I would never be again.”

Leigh Bardugo
“The tears that had been threatening to overflow finally did, coursing down my cheeks. I wanted to run after him, to take back what I'd said, to beg him to stay, but I'd spent my life running after Mal. Instead, I stood in silence and let him go.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Then the memory of the Darkling's kiss blew through me and rattled my concentration, scattering my thoughts like leaves and making my heart swoop and dive like a bird borne aloft by uncertain currents.”

Leigh Bardugo
“I'm sorry it took me so long to see you, Alina. But I see you now.”

December 3, 2011 – Shelved
June 6, 2012 – Started Reading
June 6, 2012 –
0.0% "Doing absolutely nothing today until I finish this from start to finish."
page 173
June 6, 2012 –
0.0% ""The Grisha claims the amplifier, but the amplifier claims the Grisha, as well." Faintly reminds me of choosing wands and the stag reminds me of Harry's Patronus. :')"
June 8, 2012 – Shelved as: badass
June 8, 2012 – Shelved as: no-words-just-tears
June 8, 2012 – Shelved as: love-love-love
June 8, 2012 – Shelved as: swoon-worthy
June 8, 2012 – Shelved as: speechless
June 8, 2012 – Finished Reading
January 12, 2013 – Shelved as: favorite-couple

Sherbie "Honestly, after reading this, it makes me want to lower all my 5 star books to 4 stars." I understand what you mean! I feel the same <3

Belkis just finished reading this marvelous book, if it can be called that, it was more like an experience. I'm still in awe. Marvelous dreamlike awe. I love this book. I love this author's writing. I can't wait for the next one to come out already so we can embark on the next voyage with Alina & Mal! Loved your review, it's perfect. Exactly how I'm feeling after finishing it.

Kilikina Thank you! And I completely agree with you! I couldn't stop thinking about it becuase it was just amazing. Ahhh Alina and Mal <3 Thinking about the second book makes me wanna cry though, a whole year away?..:[

Belkis Yup definitely *sigh* very long wait. N then book 3 is slated for a year after that :( but at least book 1 ended nicely :)