emma's Reviews > This Savage Song

This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab

liked it
bookshelves: ya, fantasy, owned, dark, unpopular-opinion, reviewed, 3-stars, comments

I KEEP TRYING.

I keep picking up V.E. Schwab books, and I just...I don’t get it.

I read A Darker Shade of Magic and thought it was meh, but I didn’t have any resounding issues with it and everyone said the sequel was excellent so I figured why not. And then I picked up A Gathering of Shadows and had one of the biggest “what the f*ck?” moments of my lifetime.

But we don’t need to get into that opinion again.

I TBRed A Conjuring of Light anyway. I even bought a copy. I added Vicious to my to-read list, and I bought this book on Book Outlet.

And I just wanna know when all my effort is going to pay off. When are good ol’ Victoria and I going to click???

This book was fine. The writing was solid -- I’ve never had a problem with her writing. The worldbuilding was good too. It was intricate and fairly wound into the text, neither info dump-y nor overly confusing. Which is rare in worlds this elaborate. Overall, this was creative and pretty well done.

But what the hell am I supposed to click with?

The characters were fine. They were whatever, really. In fact, they felt only a shade or two off from Kell and Lila of the Shades of Magic series, which makes me wonder whether Schwab really knows how to write characters who aren’t flat, boring young men and spiky, antifeminist-but-trying-to-be-feminist young women.

There was no real plot to this, just slowness and then a sudden, out-of-nowhere event that seemed to fit not at all into anything else that had happened. Reading it was occasionally a chore and never entirely pleasant.

I didn’t hate this book, but I didn’t even a little bit understand how people love it.

Bottom line: I guess I’ll keep trying. But I want a goddamn medal.

-------
CURRENTLY-READING UPDATE

help, i can't stop reading YA fantasy and i don't know who i am anymore

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Savage Song.

June 18, 2018 – Shelved
September 26, 2018 – Started Reading
September 30, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)

Yusra  ✨ this is a really good book, hope you love it!!

emma Yusra wrote: "this is a really good book, hope you love it!!"

i am enjoying it so far ty!!

Faith (BookSelf ~ You Are What You Read) I LOVE THIS BOOK and yes, I too have lost of identity because of too many books like who even am I??

pris YES hopefully you’ll enjoy this series :)

emma Faith wrote: "I LOVE THIS BOOK and yes, I too have lost of identity because of too many books like who even am I??"

honestly it's that but also i don't even read that much YA fantasy so like. um. what is happening

emma pris wrote: "YES hopefully you’ll enjoy this series :)
i happened to not like the first book aka this one that much, but the next one is sososososo good"

ooh interesting interesting. good to know ty!

message 7: by Molly (new) - added it

Molly Schwab is just such a great writer!! Seriously-

message 8: by Caitlin (new) - added it

Caitlin i bought the second one not knowing it was a series and i keep forgetting to get this one

emma Caitlin wrote: "i bought the second one not knowing it was a series and i keep forgetting to get this one"

i hate when that happens

message 10: by emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

emma Molly wrote: "Schwab is just such a great writer!! Seriously-"

message 11: by Caitlin (new) - added it

Caitlin emma wrote: "Molly wrote: "Schwab is just such a great writer!! Seriously-"

tbh i read A Darker Shade of Magic and A Gathering of Shadows & didn't like them At All but i'm giving her more chances!!"

Have you tried vicious?

message 12: by emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

emma Caitlin wrote: "emma wrote: "Molly wrote: "Schwab is just such a great writer!! Seriously-"

tbh i read A Darker Shade of Magic and A Gathering of Shadows & didn't like them At All but i'm giving her more chances!..."

haven't yet, it's on the long list!

message 13: by Cal (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cal (Constant Raving Reviews) Oh my gosh I relate to this completely!!! If I squeeze my eyes shut and I’m sitting in a dark room— I can see it

message 14: by emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

emma Cal wrote: "Oh my gosh I relate to this completely!!! If I squeeze my eyes shut and I’m sitting in a dark room— I can see it"

if i spin around in circles really fast and then blink 8 times i'm like, "i get it now!"

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* I DNF'd A Darker Shade of Magic and I'm still intent on at least trying Vicious but I have a similar feeling! I love following her on Twitter but whyyyyy can't I get into her work??

Mariam Vicious was the first book I read of Schwab and I connected so well with the writing and the characters. I personally think her writing is amazing. A Darker Shade of Magic was meh for me as well, but I liked 2 and 3 a lot better. Idk, maybe it’s not for everyone? I hope you read Vicious and change your mind because it’s her best book!

Claire (bookscoffeeandrepeat) After reading ACOL, I realized that I didn't really like the series all that much.

And since you asked (sort of) what I liked about TSS was the general idea of this book, the viciousness of Kate, and how a literal monster (in sheep's clothing) like August is actually a cinnamon roll at heart. I also liked how dark this book was (both literal and metaphorical).

I guess it really depends what you're looking for in this book.

message 18: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones I don't get the Schwab-love either and I feel like I'm missing out but oh well what can you do? I read ADSoM and one was enough for me to know that I just don't like her style.

message 19: by nadia (( disquieting thing )) (last edited Dec 21, 2018 08:32AM) (new) - added it

nadia (( disquieting thing )) i read "the archived", didn't like it, tried getting into shades of magic but was bored and annoyed. but "vicious"? i would reread it all over again. "vicious" is /the/ schwab book for me, it did the trick and i'm in love. so i'd suggest trying out "vicious" anyway, might just work for you too!!

Peregrine Vicious was the first book i read of hers and nothing i've read by her since has lived up to it lol

message 21: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen i never understood the schwab hype either until i read The Unbound and the The Archived, which i think are two of my her best books (unfortunately it looks like the third book is never going to be published :() but you should check them out because i found that series to be much much better than Monsters of Verity, despite being incomplete

Scarlett✴17™ I love Schwab's books, but I thought this duology was way worse than her usual books.

message 23: by Maren (new) - added it

Maren I've been trying to get into her books. I have tried Darker Shade of Magic and Vicious, but I just haven't been able to be that attached to it. Kind of sad.

Regina I feel the same way about Schwab. I was giving her chances, but after the fall-out that was Conjuring of Light and the wasted potential of TSS/MOV, I gave up on her. 4,5 books of which I tolerated 2 and hated the rest are enough chances to waste.

Claire (bookscoffeeandrepeat) nadia (( disquieting thing )) wrote: "i read "the archived", didn't like it, tried getting into shades of magic but waz bored and annoyed. but "vicious"? i would reread it all over again. "vicious" is /the/ schwab book for me, it did t..."

I didn't like Archived either. I thought it was a solid read but I found the mc to be annoying. And same, I love Vicious! 😆

message 26: by emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

emma Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "I DNF'd A Darker Shade of Magic and I'm still intent on at least trying Vicious but I have a similar feeling! I love following her on Twitter but whyyyyy can't I get into her work??"

i'm going to persevere but i don't!!! understand!!! it!!!

message 27: by emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

emma Mariam wrote: "Vicious was the first book I read of Schwab and I connected so well with the writing and the characters. I personally think her writing is amazing. A Darker Shade of Magic was meh for me as well, b..."

i'm looking forward to vicious so woo

message 28: by emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

emma Claire wrote: "After reading ACOL, I realized that I didn't really like the series all that much.

i always just want to feel like i give a sh*t about a book/am in any way invested, and i haven't gotten that from any of her books

message 29: by emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

emma Nadine wrote: "I don't get the Schwab-love either and I feel like I'm missing out but oh well what can you do? I read ADSoM and one was enough for me to know that I just don't like her style."

i don't MIND her style but i seem to be incapable of connecting with her characters

message 30: by emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

emma nadia (( disquieting thing )) wrote: "i read "the archived", didn't like it, tried getting into shades of magic but was bored and annoyed. but "vicious"? i would reread it all over again. "vicious" is /the/ schwab book for me, it did t..."

vicious is seeming Promising

message 31: by emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

emma Peregrine wrote: "Vicious was the first book i read of hers and nothing i've read by her since has lived up to it lol"

lmao seems like vicious is The Book

message 32: by emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

emma Jen wrote: "i never understood the schwab hype either until i read The Unbound and the The Archived, which i think are two of my her best books (unfortunately it looks like the third book is never going to be ..."

it's incomplete??? that's soso weird! but i may check it out. they seem more interesting to me than the typical schwab book

message 33: by emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

emma Aelin Of The Wildfire wrote: "I love Schwab's books, but I thought this duology was way worse than her usual books."

soso meh!

message 34: by emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

emma Maren wrote: "I've been trying to get into her books. I have tried Darker Shade of Magic and Vicious, but I just haven't been able to be that attached to it. Kind of sad."

truly tragic

message 35: by emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

emma Regina wrote: "I feel the same way about Schwab. I was giving her chances, but after the fall-out that was Conjuring of Light and the wasted potential of TSS/MOV, I gave up on her. 4,5 books of which I tolerated ..."

i think i'll try Vicious (and ACOL since i already have a copy) but...if that doesn't work may have to give up

Isabelle | BookwyrmBites ooooof you definitely deserve a medal for all this effort 🏅 for what it’s worth, I loved ADSOM (the whole trilogy) and greatly enjoyed the Villains duology, but Monsters of Verity fell flat on its face. idk, it seems to be pretty hit-or-miss?

message 37: by Michael (new)

Michael Kott I have nothing really to say, haven't read these. You seem to pick a lot of eeh! books. Hate to see you are unhappy. Maybe you should try something completely new.

Tucker SAME! I cannot for the life of me pick up any of her books except this one which was really boring

message 39: by Audrey (new)

Audrey I tried A Darker Shade of Magic, and I think I’ll give Vicious a try. If that’s not good, I’ll have to quit on Victoria.

message 40: by emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

emma Isabelle wrote: "ooooof you definitely deserve a medal for all this effort 🏅 for what it’s worth, I loved ADSOM (the whole trilogy) and greatly enjoyed the Villains duology, but Monsters of Verity fell flat on its ..."

thank you for my tiny cartoon medal. i shall treasure it

message 41: by emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

emma Michael wrote: "I have nothing really to say, haven't read these. You seem to pick a lot of eeh! books. Hate to see you are unhappy. Maybe you should try something completely new."

so true. really reckoning with whether i have high standards or am just really picky. maybe some combination of the two? i also think i'm probably just getting a tad sick of YA

message 42: by emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

emma Tucker wrote: "SAME! I cannot for the life of me pick up any of her books except this one which was really boring"

i'm trying so!! hard!!

message 43: by emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

emma Audrey wrote: "I tried A Darker Shade of Magic, and I think I’ll give Vicious a try. If that’s not good, I’ll have to quit on Victoria."

judging by the comments, Vicious is the way to go

message 44: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara This is me, really. Everything is fine, but that’s it. It’s fine, okay. But I really want to click with her books 😫

message 45: by Mandy (new) - added it

Mandy I liked her juvenile book City of Ghosts. I recommend that one.

message 46: by emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

emma Mandy wrote: "I liked her juvenile book City of Ghosts. I recommend that one."

i do love middle grade........

message 47: by emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

emma Sara wrote: "This is me, really. Everything is fine, but that’s it. It’s fine, okay. But I really want to click with her books 😫"

message 48: by Corinne (new)

Corinne I've only ever read Vicious, but it was pretty "meh" for me. I feel a little bad but I guess her writing style just isn't my thing.

message 49: by Beatriz (new) - added it

Beatriz I do think you do deserve a medal. I've read the Shades of Magic series and didn't really appreciate it, and I think I'll have to try this one as well, but you're not giving me high hopes :)

ally ♡ I really don’t like Veronica’s ADSOM series, but for me the Vicious duology is amazing. Maybe give that a try 💯

« previous 1