Clytee's Reviews > Oh, Beautiful: An American Family in the 20th Century

Oh, Beautiful by John Paul Godges

F 50x66
Dec 03, 2011

Read in October, 2011

This book is self-published, and the reason I knew about it was reading about it on a genealogy blog. This man has written an amazing family history of his parents and siblings and self. He is my age, his life unfolded in the same American eras mine did, his parents in the same era my parents did. It is an American history, it is a brave disclosure of a big family with lots of challenges, and it is a fantastic family history. It's about immigrants (we all descend from immigrants) and immigrating, about the power of families for good and ill. It's about what it is like to be Catholic through and through. There are some real surprises about how things turn out, about what little kids in a family turn into. I think it is well written. How he got all the details he did are beyond me. How he got family to discuss and give him quotes about themselves is beyond me. It's a big book, 400 and some pages but very captivating and there were times I couldn't put it down. It is going to be my pick for my book club for next year because I think it is an important book with lots to discuss, and I am always trying to preach the doctrine of learning and recording family history, and he has done that so well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oh, Beautiful.