Laura's Reviews > Forbidden

F 50x66
Dec 03, 2011

Read in November, 2011

Warning: Graphic scenes

Forbidden by Ted Dekker and Tosca Lee will take you on a fantasy ride like no other! I’ve read many of Ted Dekker’s books, but none by Tosca Lee, so I’m not familiar with whose style is presented the most, or if the two mesh together so well one cannot tell.

It’s the story of a civilization where the living are walking dead– while undisclosed secrets held for years leave the people unaware of their loss. It started with The War of the Chaos, when Legion spread and stripped the genetic code of the limbic region of the brain of every thing but fear. It seems like a Utopia without the threat of war, hatred, lofty ambitions, greed, etc., but they must proclaim their loyalty to and live under fear of The Order.

This alleged Utopian life will be challenged for a few individuals, starting with Rom Sebastian. A box is tossed to him one evil night for safe-keeping, containing a vial of blood wrapped with vellum that includes a cryptic poem and an indiscernible message. Fleeing the Citadel Guard, he shares his finding with current and former friends, putting their lives in danger. Once they consume the contents, they will have to abandon everything they once knew as they encounter real humanity and its sensations.

However, once the message is decoded, a journey of delight, death, and danger throws multiple groups into conflict. Set in what appears to be a medieval era, the action is swift and sometimes brutal. The graphic scenes show the difference of The Order’s view on murder and the reality of what takes place–the proverbial ‘Do what I say, not what I do.’ Your own senses are put on high alert as they encounter the pages of this book, and your own emotions are stretched during the difficult and delightful circumstances.

Would a life with love that includes pain and loss be better than a dead life with fear? This question must be answered individually by each of the alive characters. The authors create circumstances that will tear them apart. What will they decide? Their decisions will be crucial as the authors reveal their stories. It’s a question the authors tweak your own emotions with as well. Are you alive or just stagnating? Living in Love or fear?

I do have a problem with the drinking of blood, as Scripture is adamant about not drinking blood. Knowing Ted and Tosca, it will most likely be brought around full circle.

I found a double meaning to the story that I believe the authors are acutely aware of, and wondering if we catch on.

You will find that this is not a light-reading book and that it doesn’t end with Forbidden. But I can say I’m already hooked for the next book in the trilogy.

Special thanks to Sarah Reck, Web Publicist | FaithWords & Center Street | Hachette Book Group, for sending me a review copy. No monetary compensation was exchanged.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forbidden.