Joanna Larum's Reviews > Their Last Words

Their Last Words by Steve    Parker

Here we have a new author to Joffe books and, having read the book, I can fully understand why they have decided to publish his books. Their reputation for publishing thrilling, can't-stop-reading, gripping police procedurals can only be enhanced by this novel.
The main character is Detective Superintendent Ray Paterson, born into a family with a lot of money. He doesn't need to work, he drives an Aston car and wears designer suits and Gucci shoes. I was sure I wouldn't like him but I do! His team are a mixture of characters, some I like, some I don't but all are interesting!
The book starts with a series of murders of young women who have been almost dissected by a sadistic and brutal killer - and that's all I am going to say about the story. You need to read the book without any idea of what is going to unfold before your eyes because then, you will get the full flavour of the novel.
As a retired policeman, Mr Parker obviously gets all of the routines of detective work absolutely spot on, so that isn't an issue here, but the story!! Wow! It takes your breath away to read it. I found I couldn't stop reading. I discovered I could cook, clean and pretend to hold a conversation, all the time without losing the next sentence or the next word. I even went to sleep reading it about 1.30 AM and then picked it up again at 3.15 AM!
If you like crime novels, if you enjoy a good story, if you want a novel which will grab you and hold you until the end and then leave you fizzing for more, then this is the book for you. I cannot wait for the next one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Their Last Words.

June 18, 2018 – Shelved