Rebecca's Reviews > Blue Horses

Blue Horses by Mary Oliver

liked it
bookshelves: other-giveaway-win, poetry, nature

(2.75) Another desperately earnest and somewhat overbaked collection of nature observations and pat spiritual realizations. There are a few whole poems worth reading (e.g., “After Reading Lucretius, I Go to the Pond” and Part 3 of “The Fourth Sign of the Zodiac,” which borrows from a poem of hers previously published in Five Points), and some lines here and there fit for saving, but overall I find Oliver’s recent work really rather weak compared to that from her 1980s heyday.

Favorite lines:

“I don’t want to be demure or respectable. / I was that way, asleep, for years.” (first line is also poem title)

“I don’t care to / be too definite about anything. / I have a lot of edges called Perhaps / and almost nothing you can call / Certainty.” (from “Angels”)

“What kind of life is it always to plan / and do, to promise and finish, to wish / for the near and the safe?” (from “If I Wanted a Boat”)

“how wonderful to be who I am, / made out of earth and water, / my own thoughts, my own fingerprints— / all that glorious, temporary stuff.” (from “On Meditating, Sort Of”)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Horses.

June 17, 2018 – Started Reading