Janine - The World Was Hers for the Reading's Reviews > The Secret Thief

The Secret Thief by Nina Lane

Eve Perrin is looking to escape her past and make a new start for herself. When a twisted affair with a colleague ruins her career and leave her disgraced with no job and a reputation in ruins, she flees to the only place she can . . . Castille, Maine to the old and ramshackle home her beloved uncle left her when he passed away. She’s hoping it is far enough away from the gossip surrounding her affair that she can begin rebuilding her life in the quaint coastal town. Unfortunately, it’s not.

When the only person willing to give her a chance in town is the incredibly handsome, yet mysterious recluse that lives at the local lighthouse, she can’t say no.

Flynn Alverton knows he should stay far away from Eve, yet he can’t. From the moment he sees her placing her secret in the wall in front of the lighthouse, he is captivated with her. He offers her a job he knows she won’t be able to walk away from and makes her sign a contract that doesn’t allow her to reveal her job to anyone or to pry into his personal life in any way. It’s not enough, though as their attraction is palpable and it becomes harder and harder for them both to deny the feelings growing between them.

Eve isn’t the only one with a past, however. Once Flynn’s is revealed, will it drive them apart forever or draw them closer together?

I have to say that the Secret Thief captivated me from the first page and drew me further and further into the complex love story that was Eve and Flynn. Nina Lane’s writing has such gorgeous imagery that I felt as if I was right alongside the couple in the coastal town of Castille. Her characters contain such depth that they begin to feel real to the reader and I found myself to be completely invested in finding out the secrets Flynn was keeping so that he and Eve had a true chance at happiness which they so thoroughly deserved.

Eve, a bit naive to start, has that innocence thrown back in her face in such a manner that she’s forced to flee and start again. She knows Flynn is a bad idea, but for the first time in a long time, she feels desired and appreciated and cared for by a man. She doesn’t let his uncertainty about them or his secrets keep them apart, nor does she give in to the unfriendliness of the townspeople or the disdain of her mother. Instead, she begins to thrive, making repairs to the old house she inherited and finding her way back to academia on her own terms . . . all while falling in love.

Flynn’s character is extremely complex. He is hiding some major secrets that rule his life. He is afraid of letting anyone know who he truly is, including Eve, but he’s so drawn to her that he keeps letting her further and further in to his heart. She becomes his lover, his muse and his friend when he needs it most. Together, they are the perfect couple if they can wade through all the secrets that surround them.

I don’t want to give too much away about the plot, but it’s so much more than a love story and kept me completely engaged from start to finish. It’s truly a spectacular story with amazing and in depth characters and enough magic to remind you to keep believing in fairy tales. 5 stars for the Secret Thief!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Thief.

Started Reading