Celeste's Reviews > Little House in the Big Woods

Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder

bookshelves: classics-i-ve-read, childrens-books, historical

In the past few months, I’ve developed a bit of an obsession with the television show Little House on the Prairie. It’s something I’ve seen bits and pieces of throughout my life, as there were always reruns playing on some channel. But I’ve never sat down and watched it from the beginning as I’m doing now, and I’ve really been enjoying it. I just had a desperate desire for something pure and wholesome that almost always has a happy ending, and that’s what I’ve found in this series. Since I love the television series and said series is based on a famous series of books, I obviously need to read them, right?

This first book was absolutely adorable. Laura is five years old in this book, and still living in the Big Woods, before her family moves away. The prose is incredibly simply, and seems tailor made for reading aloud to children. There isn’t much plot, but the descriptions are vivid and very engaging, which is exactly what young children will enjoy about the book.

I’m not a young child, so did I enjoy this book? Absolutely. I felt like I was right there with Laura, making butter and playing in an attic full of food stored for winter and listening to wolves howl outside of my window. Wilder did a great job of presenting the story through the eyes of a child, and reading it made me feel like a child again. I can’t wait to continue on with the series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little House in the Big Woods.

June 17, 2018 – Started Reading
June 17, 2018 – Shelved
June 18, 2018 – Shelved as: classics-i-ve-read
June 18, 2018 – Shelved as: childrens-books
June 18, 2018 – Shelved as: historical
June 18, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Caleb (new)

Caleb M. Childhood memories seeing that cover. Farm Boy was the first in that series I ever read, which was a mistake, but fun books.

Celeste I’m glad they’re linked with good memories for you, Caleb. I’ll be starting Farmer Boy today!