Martha☀'s Reviews > Less

Less by Andrew Sean Greer

bookshelves: 2019-bingo, challenge-theme

Arthur Less is turning 50 this year (as am I!) and he finds himself rudderless in a gale. What has he accomplished? Who loves him? How will he be remembered? How will he pay the bills? All of these questions weigh on him as he embarks on an around-the-globe journey in order to avoid attending his former lover's wedding. In Arthur's mind, by 50, you should know what you're doing. You should have both experience and wealth. You should be beyond making mistakes. But it takes many months of self-reflection and humility for him to see that he is loved by many, has accomplished great things and, above all, has maintained an enviable youthful outlook.
Despite enjoying Arthur's character and his escapades, I was disappointed in the ending. (view spoiler)
This book is darkly comic and I found that the humour slowly grew as I read, making me chuckle well after my neurons had fired. Beware - this does not mean that it is hilarious or slap-stick. Don't mistake 'comic' for 'cartoon'. Instead, this is an intelligent, light look at aging, love and relationships and you may find that Greer's thoughtful scenarios stick with you afterwards.
Life is not over at 50. It is icing on the cupcake!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Less.

June 17, 2018 – Shelved
June 17, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 4, 2019 – Shelved as: next-in-line
July 4, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-bingo
July 5, 2019 – Shelved as: challenge-theme
July 16, 2019 – Started Reading
July 20, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Libby (new)

Libby Thank goodness life is not over at 50. If it were, I would be past my expiration date. Great review Martha!

PattyMacDotComma Good enthusiastic review, Martha. I really loved this one and wanted to adopt Arthur!