Zach's Reviews > Dark Matter

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

liked it

Dark Matter is a story about tripping through the multiverse. It's built on very shaky scientific underpinnings -- namely, that because of the many-worlds interpretation of quantum theory, it should be possible to build a human-sized Schroedinger's cat box, achieve a state of quantum decoherence for a dude inside that box, and thereby enable him to travel to parallel universes, with the giant cat box acting as an inter-dimensional spaceship. This is total nonsense on a lot of levels, and for the majority of the book it undermined my ability to take it seriously. Also not helping was the seriously corny and fragmented writing style that Crouch employs -- he seems to be allergic to writing in full sentences, so that his narrative often reads like a series of text messages, for pages at a time. Or should I say: Sentence fragments. They're everywhere. Entire paragraphs. Sometimes pages. A jarring style. I understand the impact that can be achieved by these kinds of staccato bursts of thoughts, employed judiciously, but honestly it struck me more as lazy than intentionally stylized.

So between the cringey narrative choices and the ridiculous sci-fi basis, I was ready to write this off as two-stars at best. But then, credit where's it's due, Crouch really turns things around in the third act, delivering a high-stakes, intense climax with a twist I hadn't seen before and found quite compelling. Spoilers inbound if you don't want it ruined for you:

(view spoiler)

Apparently this is being made into a movie, which is a format where most of my gripes wouldn't apply nearly as strongly. I can't really recommend this as a novel, sci-fi or otherwise, but I would probably see the movie when it comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Matter.

June 17, 2018 – Shelved