willaful's Reviews > The Unquiet

Dec 03, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: story-novella-or-anthology, woo-woo, what-happened
Read from December 02 to 07, 2011 , read count: 1

I’m not sure if it was deliberate, but there’s a lot of old movie homage in this collection -- we have “Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde,” “The Shop Around the Corner” and “The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.”

Chaos in Death by J.D. Robb. This closely follows New York to Dallas and has some spoilers. It was a pretty good mystery -- though I have to wonder what tells Robb uses that make it so I always know who the bad guy is the second he or she appears -- but I found the resolution of the paranormal element lacking and unconvincing. 2 stars

Her Greatest Treasure by Mary Blaney. Another historical “wishing coin” story, linked to the others Blaney's contributed to this anthology series. I liked this more than the previous ones; it felt like it belonged in an old-fashioned Christmas anthology. 3 stars

Dear One by Patricia Gaffney. A 900 number psychic and the suspicious nephew of one of her clients unwittingly become friends over the phone. I’m not quite sure what this is doing in the anthology, since the paranormal aspect is extremely thin... for that matter, so is the plot, but Gaffney’s style always delights me. 3 1/2 stars.

Unforgiven by Ruth Ryan Langan. A betrayed widow and the ghost of a betrayed husband find peace together. One of those annoying reincarnation plots that it seems every anthology like this has. Not a bad read, but the writing and plot are very generic; I found myself snorting through an over-the-top love scene. 2 stars.

His Brother's Keeper by Mary Kay McComas. A complicated, hard to follow ghost story -- I don’t know if was inspired by a movie but it read like one. 3 stars.

Originally reviewed 12/7/22, updated 4/24/15

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unquiet.