Rebecca's Reviews > Nothing to Envy: Real Lives in North Korea

Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick

Dec 03, 2011

Read from April 01 to 19, 2011

This was a work book club choice. I would not normally choose such a book and was a bit dubious when I heard this was the one chosen. As the good sport that I am I agreed to read it...so glad that I did. This book was both factual and moving at the same time. I loved that it got me thinking and contemplating the way of life for North Koreans, alongside the role that the World has played in it's current affairs. From a political standpoint I was interested (as an American) to see what a significant part we played in drawing a line between North and South Korea (in my opinion there seemed to be no rhythm or reason to it)...confirmed that we really do have our fingers in every pot. Moreover, it made me sad to think that those North Koreans who do not wish to live in that country, in that way of life, have been condemned to do so because of a line drawn so long ago. From a humane perspective it saddens me to know the plight that the individuals continue to live it such conditions. Whilst I acknowledge this book is written from the perspective of those who wished to flee the country, one cannot help but wonder if those who stay are there by choice as they have become accustomed to that way of life. In any event this book is well worth reading, if to only broaden your horizons on North Korea according to B Demick.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nothing to Envy.