Brina's Reviews > Up, Up, and Away: The Kid, the Hawk, Rock, Vladi, Pedro, le Grand Orange, Youppi!, the Crazy Business of Baseball, and the Ill-fated but Unforgettable Montreal Expos

Up, Up, and Away by Jonah Keri

liked it
bookshelves: baseball, canada

This is our baseball book club read for July 2018. Jonah Keri details the history of the Expos and it is an informative yet at times painful read. I say painful because the owners did little to support the team, which lead to its best stars leaving as free agents or traded for minor league prospects. Other than the original owner Charles Bronfman, the owners did little to advocate for a new stadium either, which lead to the Expos inevitable flight from Montreal. Maybe that is why I detest the Nationals today- because I know how horrible it must have been for the fans in Montreal like Keri to lose their team out from under them. I am getting ahead of myself. Keri details the key players and moments in Expos history along with some personal memories. While the personal interspersed with history did not work for me, I enjoyed remembering the Expos, especially the Hawk who I grew to love when he was a member of the Cubs, and Dennis Martinez "El Presidente", one of my favorite non Cub players growing up because of both his grit and nickname. While not necessarily the best written baseball book I have read, it was certainly colorful and entertaining so invite my fellow baseball fans to join in on the discussion next month.

3 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Up, Up, and Away.

June 16, 2018 – Started Reading
June 17, 2018 – Shelved
June 17, 2018 – Shelved as: canada
June 17, 2018 – Shelved as: baseball
June 17, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Cheri (new)

Cheri Terrific review for what sounds like a so-so book, Brina! I'm happy that you enjoyed this at least somewhat, hope the next one is better!

Brina Cheri, this was a good 3 stars and maybe later I will up it to 3.5. I had more issues with the writing style than the content and did enjoy it but not quite as much as other baseball books I've read this year.

message 3: by Greg (new)

Greg Sounds great, but I like books with longer titles. That way, I don't even have to really read them.

Brina Greg ;). It didn't hurt that Andre Dawson is on the cover. I was only willing to play outfield as a kid because of him.

message 5: by Greg (new)

Greg Brina wrote: "Greg ;). It didn't hurt that Andre Dawson is on the cover. I was only willing to play outfield as a kid because of him."

Hi Brina, as a kid, my father coached little league and my brother played. I had my head in books very early, Dad tried to get me interested in playing, wish I had been more athletic when a kid: at the time I had bad asthma and there was no such thing as "allergic asthma" and doctors thought in my case it was exercise induced but that was never the case. When I did play in school, I was always put in the outfield though, and was usually last on the batting list. I have found I am not very good in book clubs, I tend to stray ahead or get behind because I juggle read, and I've been told I'm too direct with my opinions (both good and bad) and should ease up: but oh how I hate sloppy writing and editing. I don't mind a weak debut, but an undedited, sloppy, nonsensical one will irritate me: there are too many great books to be read!