Angelika's Reviews > One Small Thing

One Small Thing by Erin Watt

bookshelves: 2018, arc

#young-adult #contemporary #single-pov #standalone

After reading and loving The Royals series by Erin Watt I was pretty curious this writing duo’s other novels. As their newest release comes with an eye-catching cover and more than an appealing synopsis, it’s no surprise I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it. Lucky me was able to receive an early e-copy from the publisher via NetGalley.

One Small Thing is a coming of age young adult story of a good girl who falls for the boy who accidentally killed her sister in a car accident. This book talks about the consequences of a terrible tragedy, also so much more. It shows how people deal with their losses in different ways. Also, it touches on the topic of family issues, bullying, and sexual assault. The authors take a complicated situation and skillfully shape it for an engaging emotional journey to teach us about forgiveness and love. This standalone brought an intense story with an edgy layer.
“There’s always something to live for. Something to be thankful for. Something to look forward to.”
I devoured this book and truly loved it. There was a realness in the plot and characters that captured my heart from the very beginning. I liked Beth's voice but my absolute favorite was Chase. He was so well formed. Once he was a reckless boy but three years in the juvie have hardened him and made him a better person. He learned to find beauty and happiness in the small things and not going to take anything for granted anymore.
While I enjoyed the forbidden relationship trope, the fact that the romance wasn’t really fleshed out plus the end felt a bit rushed for my taste, keep me from giving the highest rating.
Overall, I recommend this book. If you're looking for a new emotional ya to read I suggest give it a shot.

My favorite quote:
-quote_mark You teach people how to treat you.
❤ Charlie 'Chase' Donnelly (19) & Elizabeth Jones (17)
➤ Darling
➤ autumn

Songs mentioned in this book:
♪ Taylor Swift - Bad Blood
♪ Dee Sharp - Mashed Potato Time

eARC

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Small Thing.

June 12, 2018 – Started Reading