Rebecca's Reviews > Thr3e

Jun 11, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: made-into-movies
Read in September, 2009 , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** This did not follow my usual pattern of reading a book and then watching the movie to see what they did to the story.In this case, I stumbled onto the movie, and thought that I'd give it a try when I saw that the lead was Marc Blucas. (Hey look, it's Riley Finn from Buffy! Hi Riley!) The movie wasn't great, but I thought that it just hadn't been able to capture the book properly.

Sadly, I was wrong.

Ted Dekker is one of the "big names" in Christian fiction. Not generally a big fan of the genre, I've only read one of this other books, House, and it was similarly overwritten, incoherent, and trying way, way too hard. It's possible that because I knew the end of the story that I missed some of the subtleties; I kept looking for clues to see if I could confirm what I already knew to be the ending, and I did see the clues as to Slater, although he didn't seem to have laid decent groundwork for Sam. I'm sorry, did I say clues? I should have said "screaming red lights." Once Sam suggested that Slater and Kevin were the same, the cat was out of the bag--there's no way you can make a suggestion like that unless you're going to pay it off, and it's too far out of the mainstream to be suggested without a major payoff.

The book tried really hard to be a regular, if poorly written, psych thriller, with little to nothing in the way of religious symbolism, until about the last 50 pages. Then, as if the author sudden remembered he was supposed to be writing this for a niche market, he suddenly threw in extended discussions of the nature of the soul, right in the middle of what was supposed to be the climax. Talk about a buzzkill.

Kevin is just about the most areligious seminary student I've ever heard of, and the occasional random mentions of Jennifer's faith--or lack thereof--were rocky and out of place. Trying to work out the symbolism, as such, and get a moral out of the story is like stumbling around in the dark, banging your shins on furniture and stubbing your toes. Sometimes having to wade through a story and dig for the meaning is worth it, but this one was seriously disappointing.

Also, can I just say how much I hate that the person who caused all this suffering skipped away scott free? I mean, I supposed there's an argument to be made that the public exposure, and being forced to acknowledge (if she was) that her behavior was what had caused this suffering, would be punishment enough, but I don't buy it. She brought pure evil out of a man's soul to walk around and ruin people's lives. I hope she paid for that, a lot more than we got to see in the book. Although I suppose we're not allowed to see that in a faith-based book, so instead we had to tie everything up in a nice pretty package with a bow on top. All I can say is, when I'm reading a serial bomber story, I want to see some blood.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thr3e.

09/01/2009 page 58