latte lily's Reviews > From Here to You

From Here to You by Jamie McGuire

Even though Darby Dixon has made more bad decisions than she can count, she refuses to marry her abusive fiance on the day of their wedding once she figures out she’s pregnant. With a small handful of cash on hand, she escapes from everything she’s ever known on the day of her wedding to start over in Colorado Springs. When she arrives there, she isn’t expecting to meet Scott Trexler. He’s dangerous, mysterious, and she can’t get him out of her mind. However, Darby knows the two of them together will only inevitably crash and burn.

After hearing so many good things about Jamie McGuire, I was so thrilled to commence reading her newest novel. The premise of From Here to You sounded intriguing at first, but this book didn’t live up to the expectations I had for it.

The first thing I noticed about From Here to You that rubbed me the wrong way was Jamie McGuire’s writing style. Instead of describing things to make this book play out like a movie in my head, Jamie did a lot of telling. I may love some good dialogue, but I also love when a book has plenty of description.

In all honesty, the characters weren’t exactly enjoyable. They weren’t developed enough for my tastes, which was why Darby and Trex were rather boring to me. I was unable to connect to either one of them, even though From Here to You is in both of their points of view. Not to mention Jamie McGuire tried to make this book character-based, so there’s not much action. While I usually don’t mind when a book is character-based, it didn’t work for From Here to You because the main characters lacked personality and depth.

Then there’s the relationship between Darby and Trex, which may be the part that irked me the most about From Here to You. I know I’ve said it in my other reviews, but I just can’t stand books that contain insta-love. Right from the start of this book, Trex was informing people that Darby was the one for him. He was even telling some of his close friends that he could see himself marrying Darby. I may love a man who is confident and knows what he wants, but I don’t think Trex should have been declaring his love for Darby when he didn’t even know her. It made their relationship seem forced right off the bat.

Overall, From Here to You wasn’t the book for me. I know some people enjoy Jamie McGuire’s books, but I guess I’m not one of them. I may pick up her other books one day, but I don’t really see myself doing that. Even though I didn’t have the greatest opinions on this book, I will state that these are my opinions. Just because I didn’t enjoy this book doesn’t mean you all won’t.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Here to You.

June 16, 2018 – Shelved
June 16, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 31, 2018 – Started Reading
page 12
July 31, 2018 –
25.0% "Tex is kinda confusing me tbh"
July 31, 2018 –
37.0% "This book is kinda meh but the meh you keep reading 😂"
August 1, 2018 –
43.0% "To dnf or not to dnf"
August 1, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Leigh Anne (new)

Leigh Anne Aw sorry this didn't work out for you girl! But great review! :)