Michele ~ la Smoocherina's Reviews > To Command and Collar

To Command and Collar by Cherise Sinclair

Check out my review on:

My Review

This was an incredible book! Emotional, powerful, sexual, thought provoking and more. I’m a huge fan of the Shadowlands Series and Cherise Sinclair in general. I can always tell that she cares a lot about the characters she writes. To Command and Collar was no exception.

Kimberly has been abducted by human traffickers selling sex slaves. To say she was mistreated is the understatement of the year. She is being sold as “damaged merchandise” because she stabbed her previous buyer. Like her already? Just wait.

Enter Raoul Sandoval, Shadowlands Master, BDSM instructor and all around hardass, or at least I thought he was a hardass in the previous books. And he is, in the best possible way. He’s decent, generous, hard-working and even harder playing. A six-foot, muscle packed, structural engineer with a brother he watched get involved with a street gang, he’s no one to mess with. Smart and lethal. As an experienced Dom, he agrees to go undercover as a buyer to help find the slavers and shut them down. He’s not supposed to buy anyone, just look and get invited back. That is, until he sees Kimberly.

Once he brings Kim home, the FBI realizes that she is going to have to look every bit the part of the slave, when the Overseer comes back to visit and make sure Raoul is satisfied with his purchase. Let’s just say he’s human sex trafficking’s answer to middle management. Quite the customer service, huh? So Kim has a choice: go into witness protection and let her mom think she’s dead, or stay with Raoul and help to rescue the slaves/friends she left behind and bring down the pond scum who took her in the first place.

So begins the Master/slave relationship between Raoul and Kim. But ever the patient teacher, Raoul promises no sex and takes things very slowly. Kim was taken because she was a spirited submissive who frequented BDSM clubs, so under Raoul’s tutelage and care, she goes through the gamut of emotions. She goes from feeling hatred and fear toward Raoul, to attraction, comfort and safety when she’s in his arms. She feels like she’s disgusting and dirty, though Raoul tells her constantly that she’s strong and beautiful, a survivor. Really, she’s all over the map. But this is where Sinclair’s writing REALLY shines. She conveys the emotion Kim feels so viscerally, at times my chest hurt, it felt so real. It was like my heart was breaking. Who wouldn’t be an emotional mess if they went through such a trauma? I was emotional after reading it! But what is required for a natural submissive, who had her tendencies used against her in the most horrific possible way, to find her way back to herself? What would she need to feel safe? My answer (and clearly Sinclair’s answer too) is Raoul.

Raoul shows such patience with Kim, slowly pushing her boundaries to keep her from retreating into her innermost self. He cares for her tenderly but with the most incredible strength behind it. And the entire time he’s calmly bringing her back to the real Kim, you can feel the powerful, sexual being underneath and just how it reawakens Kim’s sexuality and helps her to reclaim her body, bit by bit.

But even so, Kim struggles with who she is and who she wants to be. What will happen when the visit from the Overseer is over? Will she see Raoul again? We haven’t heard the last of the evil human traffickers. What does the future hold for this pair? Check out To Command and Collar and see. Definite recommended read. This book could be a standalone, but your reading experience will be much richer if you read the series.

Note: We realize this book may not be for everyone as it has a survivor reliving and retelling of her time in captivity. It’s very graphic, but very necessary for the reader to understand what she went through and overcame. But if sexual trauma is a trigger, this may not be the book for you.

What I loved about To Command and Collar:

That Raoul was kind, accommodating, caring and freakin’ hot! Sorry, but I’m keepin’ it real.
That Kim has a fortitude the likes of which I’ve never read, yet she was totally believable.
That the writer had Kim go to a therapist after her ordeal. Sinclair didn’t leave all the healing on Raoul’s shoulders, having him heal her with the magic of his care. Raoul consulted her therapist often.
That female friendships aren’t pushed aside. Shadowlands Doms are secure. They want their subs happy.
Raoul has a surprise in his pants. (Don’t YOU wanna know!)
Ari and how she came to be in Kim’s life.
All of the Spanish terms of endearment Raoul calls Kim. “Gatita” is my favorite.
That we get to see what all of the couples from the previous books are up to. That Jessica!
Raoul, Raoul, Raoul..I just love him. He rates up there with Nolan from Book 3 for me now.
Things I didn’t like about To Command and Collar:

The stress I felt while reading Kim’s harrowing tale. I had such a strong reaction to it. But it was all worth it in the end.

5 Kisses

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Command and Collar.

Quotes Michele ~ la Smoocherina Liked

Cherise Sinclair
“When something horrible happens, your brain doesn't process the memories right. It stores everything-- sounds, pain, smells, feelings-- all mixed up. It doesn't matter if you believed it or it made sense; it gets stored.”

Cherise Sinclair
“the only thing men are fast at is sex.”
tags: men, sex

“Have you gone crazy?"
"Have you gone crazy, Master.”

“If God
wanted humans to eat vegetables, he wouldn’t have
colored them green. Green things are moldy.”

Cherise Sinclair
“You're very lovely, gatita."
Her brows pulled together, and she gave him a skeptical stare.
"Do not look at your master as if he's an idiot.”

Cherise Sinclair
“You’re so damn big,” she whispered.
“Why, thank you cariño,” he said.”

Cherise Sinclair
“That’s very nice. You may continue doing that.”

Slut. I’m a dirty-
The sound of a hand hitting flesh was simultaneous with the shocking sting on her bottom. “Ow!”
“You don’t think those nasty thoughts about my sumisita, Kimberly.”

Cherise Sinclair
“You spanked me,” she told him.
“I did.” He lifted her shoulders high enough to push a wedge pillow under the pad. “And I enjoyed it very much. You have a very spankable ass, no?”

Cherise Sinclair
“That’s an awful lot of littles, don’t you think?”
“Perhaps.” He displayed his hand. “Big.” He set hers next to his, so small and delicate contrasted with his thick, blunt fingers. Why did holding her fragile hand raise every protective instinct he had?”

Cherise Sinclair
“She rubbed her cheek on his chest like a sleepy cat. “I like when you hold me.”
Dios, she was going to break his heart. “I like when I hold you too.”

Cherise Sinclair
“Any ham-handed idiot can make a woman scream. I prefer to assess…responsiveness.”

Cherise Sinclair
“A good relationship is a two-way street, gatita. Submitting and serving is equaled by a master’s need to take control, to protect, to make someone happy.”

Cherise Sinclair
“If you are with me long, I will begin to spell Master with two M’s.”

“You have a piercing.”
“So I do.”
“Didn’t that hurt?”
“A bit.”

Cherise Sinclair
“And since I am a man, I would appreciate it if you would cry for us both, gatita.”

Cherise Sinclair
“Dammit, why isn’t there a book with the answers in it?”

05/15/2016 marked as: read

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish This is an incredible book! All the things you said! Great review!