Pamela's Reviews > It Had to Be You

It Had to Be You by Jill Shalvis

I read this one awhile ago, but after recently completing Once in a Lifetime, I was thinking about how much I enjoyed reading Ali's story as well. Ali is a terrific heroine: spirited, lively and determinedly optimistic yet not at all obnoxiously 'perky' or a Mary Sue.

I appreciated the minor element of mystery around who stole the community center's money, because even though it wasn't particularly well plotted nor even a very large part of the overall story, it did give the book a focus and structure beyond just the usual 'will they, won't they, we all already KNOW they will!' romance plot that we've all read so many times before from Shalvis and other contemporary authors. I also really liked Ali's relationship with her loving but kooky mom and Luke's relationship with his grandfather. And the book had its usual share of clever, funny and/or heartwarming lines that kept my Kindle's highlight button busy!

The only things that kept this from being a five-star read for me:

This was one of the Shalvis books where the characters felt a little more in lust than in love to me. They really didn't know each other very long or very well, and as often happens in Shalvis novels and contemporary romances in general, there was so much emphasis on the couple's physical attraction that I found myself wanting to see a little more development of their emotional connection. And Luke was such a typical Shalvis hero in every way that he just didn't stand out as memorable and distinct to me. I liked him well enough, but he was one of those heroes I forgot about the second I closed the book.

Overall, though, this is one of my top four or so favorite Lucky Harbor books, and I'd strongly recommend it to anyone looking for a genuinely engaging book filled with Jill Shalvis's trademark blend of warmth, hope, moderately steamy love scenes and humor!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It Had to Be You.

Quotes Pamela Liked

Jill Shalvis
“He tried to hold on, tried to hold back, but it was too late. He was lost. Lost, and yet somehow found. It was as simple and terrifying as that.”
Jill Shalvis, It Had to Be You