Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids's Reviews > Unraveling Isobel

Unraveling Isobel by Eileen Cook

What a fun, creepy, sarcastic, entertaining read! I was really surprised by how much I liked this book, and I think a lot of that had to do with the story's protagonist Isobel.

Isobel is one of those characters who's so easy to like and she's someone that faces everything head on. Plus she's a strong, stubborn, snarky character who provides the right amount of humor to this story's at times creepy plot line. Then there's Nathaniel, I won't give away too much about him as the relationship that both he and Isobel have is a bit unusual, but it's well written. I really enjoyed getting to know him, and I loved the scenes he shares with Isobel. Even though there were moments while reading this story I thought "I've read this one before" I'm glad I kept reading, because their relationship is unique, and it's one that I was intrigued with especially given the situation they're in.

The setting itself isn't just creepy, it's haunted. Unlike a few ghost stories I've read lately, this ghost is one I couldn't help but like. Her story is beyond heartbreaking, and one that ties into the story's twisted plot line. Despite being able to predict most everything that happens in the story, I did enjoy it. There's a lot of great elements that Eileen throws into the story that kept me wanting to read more. Her story is entertaining and she uses the right amount of creepiness, romance and humor to keep me engaged with it.

I will say the step-father still takes the cake for creepiness. He had my skin crawling and he's one of those guys I couldn't help by think "I'd never let you marry my mom or live in the same house with you", type of guys. I was so infuriated with how Isobel's mother treated her daughter and was so quick to marry a man she barely even knew. What's worse was all the typical signs the step father showed through out the story for the type of guy he was (turned out to be), and yet the mother continued to side with him and ignore her daughter. I couldn't get over the way she treated Isobel. Luckily Isobel remains as stubborn and strong as ever and gets through all she has to deal with, with her wit and Nathaniel there to help her.

If you're looking for a book with an entertaining story line that has the right amount of creepiness, humor and a touch of romance than I'd recommend picking up Unraveling Isobel.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unraveling Isobel.