Sakib's Reviews > The Establishment: And How They Get Away with It

The Establishment by Owen   Jones

** spoiler alert ** This was a heavy read - both for the extensive amount of facts, case studies and research Owen relays, and also for the dire truths he reveals within British political, economic and social life.

He expertly details the rise of right-wing neoliberal agenda within the UK, right from Mont Pelerin, through to Thatcher, and to the sad state of Conservative/New Labour "Establishment" politics we see today.

He deconstructs how the Establishment mentality - an elitist, self-centred, "because we're worth it", free market and (faux) laissez-faire mindset - has plagued British politics, proliferated inequality within our economy and polarised society. He expertly deconstructs how the revolving door of corporate politics, the media, the police and the financial sector have all contributed to, and perpetuate, our presently deeply unequal society. And he highlights how they have largely been able to get away with this due to clever, disgraceful scapegoating - blaming 'benefit scroungers', immigrants and Keynesian-style welfare politics rather than the real culprits - private, profit-seeking, tax-evading, state-hating corporations and those who sit within them.

It's a depressing book if you let it get you down. But for me, it's dramatically changed the way I think about politics. I used to be among the many disinterested, disillusioned young people who had given up on change. After this book, that's changed. So for that: thanks Owen. Let's make a change!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Establishment.

March 11, 2018 – Started Reading
June 15, 2018 – Finished Reading
June 16, 2018 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Irum (new) - added it