Abhiram R's Reviews > Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

As a person who has been extremely privileged when it comes to an abundance in social interactions and a healthy upbringing, I don't know what it means to be lonely. I have cherished moments of solitude, but they have always been a conscious choice, not my only choice. So when I read about the life Eleanor led, it seemed alien to me. The initial chapters felt like mountains made out of molehills, but only as I got deeper into the book did I realise the depth of the problem, the way she felt, and the reasons behind her feelings and behavior. Gail Honeyman has done a wonderful job of making you feel like you're a part of Eleanor's world, looking at her through a camera's lens during her most pained moments, and at times making you want to reach out a hand and give her a hug and tell her she's not alone and even to shake her up and tell her to stop listening to "Mummy"'s deprecating words.
For her part, she was an extremely resilient woman, who slowly but surely taught herself the ways of the world and discovered what it took to be "accepted". But the journey would have been infinitely harder if it hadn't been for Raymond.
Ah Raymond. The IT guy grew on me like a mitten that initially seems too small for your hands but then eventually fits you like it was made for you. The way he was portrayed as treating Eleanor as no different from any other person despite the rest of them poking fun at her was endearing. Perhaps because he was the new guy, he was free to form his own judgement of her. And I'm glad the friendship blossomed the way it did.
Solitude can be a wonderful thing and I'm a strong advocate of it. But there's no denying that on a primal level, man is a social animal and everyone needs a friend - someone to talk to, someone to bounce thoughts off of, even if occasionally. I'm glad Eleanor found hers in Raymond, his mother, Glen and Sammy's family.
5/5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine.

June 16, 2018 – Started Reading