Max Rohde's Reviews > The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York

The Power Broker by Robert A. Caro

U 50x66

bookshelves: biography, non-fiction

I have been looking for this book for a long time and was most delighted when I finally got my hands on it.

After reading the biographies by Caro, other biographies often feel as thin as Avengers movies. The depth with which the life of Moses and the city of New York during is time is explored is simply breathtaking. It really show how much the life of one man can be made of. Notwithstanding the extensive length of this book, I still got the feeling from time to time that aspects of Moses life were brushed over. This usually does not become apparent to me in biographies; I think here it did because so many other aspects are explored so deeply.

As to the subject matter, the life of Robert Moses and the fall of New York, I found this to be very interesting and insightful. Specifically that Moses started out with good intention - but found that he can have the biggest impact when he makes compromises; compromises which win him power and influence. Also that Moses believed throughout his life in the moral integrity of his actions - although his actions often lacked empathy and insight.

Another interesting piece of new information for me was that transportation problems within a densely populated city cannot be solved by roads and motorways but only through mass transportation. I forgot the exact figures but a line of railway has around ten times the capacity or more of a line of road. Also that in New York whenever a knew highway was constructed it quickly became jammed with traffic since the more highways a city has, the more cars will use these overall. In that light, I think it makes sense to focus most of resources for transportation in large city to heavy railway and try to utilise roads chiefly for purposes which cannot be fulfilled by rail such as emergency vehicles, goods transport etc.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power Broker.

Started Reading