Christina - Traveling Sister's Reviews > My Name Is Memory

My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares

No big deal, that blubbering heap over there is just me after finishing My Name Is Memory trying to put my heart back together.

I've been on the hunt for a sweet romance to lighten up the thriller / suspense trip I've been on and this couldn't have been a better choice. I won't reiterate the synopsis but Daniel and Lucy's story is a beautifully heart-breaking one. The POVs switch between Daniel and Lucy and follow them throughout all of their many lives. Daniel who is able to remember those lives and continually fights to find Lucy and Lucy who continually forgets with each rebirth.

I loved this story for many reasons, but my favorite was perhaps that while there have been many books on love that lasts through the ages this one managed to be unique and exciting none-the-less. While we are rooting for Daniel and Lucy, Brashares does an excellent job outlining the heartbreak and loneliness of continually searching for someone and the alienation of remembering and wanting to hold on to who you were instead of becoming who you are.

I'm not really a believer in "soul-mates" or "the-one" (despite my love of romance in novels) and I found it refreshingly real that Daniel felt the same despite the basis of this story being his ties to another soul. Snappy the pigeon was perhaps the saddest part for me and he was an excellent, albeit short part of the novel that I think deserves mention.

This was a heart-warming story, and the growth of the characters over their many lives - especially present day was wonderful to read. Based on the ending I would really hope there's some kind of sequel eventually because cliff-hanger endings are not my favorite. I'll leave this with a few of my favorite quotes because there were so many swoon worthy moments throughout:

It was back then, as a child in the eighth century, that I allowed myself to suffer how jarringly destructive the present feels and how fragile the past. The present is over quickly, you might say, and it is, but man, it goes like a wrecking ball.

All I could think to do was love her. That's all a person can do.

In my shameless heart, I've always hoped that Sophia and I would become whole together. I hate that phrase (along with the term "soul mates"), but I can't think of a better way to say it. *same*

Love who you love while you have them. That's all you can do. Let them go when you must. If you know how to love, you'll never run out.

He didn't try to organize it or record it for the long future. This was what he had. It not only mattered, it mattered the most. He kissed her with everything, because loving a person was all you could do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Name Is Memory.

June 15, 2018 – Shelved