Sophie's Reviews > Serious Moonlight

Serious Moonlight by Jenn Bennett

I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

Serious Moonlight follows Birdie as she takes a job in a Seattle hotel, and uncovers a mystery right in front of her. Working with Daniel, who she had a one night stand with when they met at a local diner, and he just happens to be her coworker, they try to uncover just who the reclusive author is, and whether they can cope with the feelings growing between them.

It's no secret that I love Jenn's books, so when this was fell through my letterbox, I was overjoyed and dove right in. Unfortunately it wasn't my favourite of hers (but nothing will ever bump Alex, Approximately from that spot), but I was definitely intrigued with the historical aspects surrounding the Cascadia Hotel, and the mystery of the secret author. Birdie was a great character, who had faced a lot in her life. After her mother died of congenital heart disease, she's been living with her elderly grandparents, and seeing her aunt Mona as much as possible. Because of this, and her diagnosed narcolepsy, she's been sheltered for most of her life, and getting this job is her first break for independence. I loved how her and Daniel's liaison's at the Moonlight diner were dealt with, and this book was so sex positive and definitely perfect for today's market. Daniel, on his half, was hearing impaired, and had been diagnosed with depression with was discussed in such a sensitive manner which was wonderful to see. What was definitely the best part of the book was the detective aspect working to uncover who Raymond Darke was. I was left guessing at times, and was invested in this plot line. Even though I wasn't blown away by the romance in this, I will be reading any and all of Jenn's books in the future!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Serious Moonlight.

June 15, 2018 – Shelved