Noa ☾'s Reviews > The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

bookshelves: that-feminist-gold, read-in-2019, iconic-characters, lgbtquia, reviewed

I'm gonna make this quick because literally everyone has reviewed this and you can find a much better one.

Does this live up to the hype ? Yes, I believe it does but DO NOT LET IT SCARE YOU

💎Evelyn Hugo is an iconic character (was I this close to looking her up online because she seemed so real ? um. no comment).

💎Why do I like her so much ? Because she's unlikable and manipulative. She's fierce and honest. There's no space for sugarcoating with her. She stops at nothing to reach her goals, she wants Hollywood, she gets it. She does things and owns up to it. There's a beauty to how raw and truthful she is with Monique.

💎Why you should read this book : the love story (heartbreaking yet beautiful and passionate), platonic relationships I'd personally die for (friendship y'all. it's all i need in a book), an unapologetic/fierce goddess female main character, the writing style. Regarding that last one, I know it depends on the reader but imo, Taylor Jenkins Reid has an amazing writing style. She created a world I could dive into head first and feel like I was the one walking next to Evelyn and casually having a conversation with her.

(view spoiler)

💫Keep up with me on my blog! 💫

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.

Quotes Noa ☾ Liked

Taylor Jenkins Reid
“Do you think I'm a whore?” Harry pulled over to the side of the road and turned to me. “I think you're brilliant. I think you're tough. And I think the word whore is something ignorant people throw around when they have nothing else.

… “Isn't it awfully convenient,” Harry added, “that when men make the rules, the one thing that's looked down on the most is the one thing that would bear them the greatest threat? Imagine if every single woman on the planet wanted something in exchange when she gave up her body. You'd all be ruling the place. An armed populace. Only men like me would stand a chance against you. And that's the last thing those assholes want, a world run by people like you and me.”

I laughed, my eyes still puffy and tired from crying. “So am I a whore or not?” “Who knows?” he said. “We're all whores, really, in some way or another. At least in Hollywood.” … “But I like you this way. I like you impure and scrappy and formidable. I like the Evelyn Hugo who sees the world for what it is and then goes out there and wrestles what she wants out of it. So, you know, put whatever label you want on it, just don't change. That would be the real tragedy.”

Taylor Jenkins Reid
“Don't ignore half of me so you can fit me into a box. Don't do that.”

Taylor Jenkins Reid
“Evelyn looks at me with purpose. "Do you understand what I'm telling you? When you're given an opportunity to change your life, be ready to do whatever it takes to make it happen. The world doesn't give things, you take things. If you learn one thing from me, it should probably be that.”

Taylor Jenkins Reid
“People think that intimacy is about sex. But intimacy is about truth. When you realize you can tell someone your truth, when you can show yourself to them, when you stand in front of them bare and their response is 'you're safe with me'- that's intimacy.”

June 15, 2018 – Shelved
June 15, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 11, 2019 – Started Reading
March 13, 2019 –
page 140
36.08% "might be too early to confirm but i think this book might just live up to the hype ?? also everyone is freaking out over daisy jones and the six and i'm here like 😬"
March 17, 2019 –