Eryn's Reviews > Love and Other Words

Love and Other Words by Christina Lauren

bookshelves: owned, romance, fiction, 5-stars, almost-favorites, cute-and-or-easy-reads, meaningful, reviewed, young-adult

4.5 / 5

I cannot believe how beautifully perfect this novel was! I was rooting for Macy and Elliot from the very beginning, and I loved seeing their relationship grow from when they met at 13 to running into each other again at 28.

As someone who read Cristina Lauren’s other novels (I can’t remember the names right now) and wasn’t a fan of them, this one completely blew me away. I mean, right from the start the writing was perfect and everything flowed so well. Nothing felt rushed or too slow; I swear this might be one of my top three romances, ever. So, if you didn't like the other books by these authors (because Christina Lauren is actually two authors!), then you might love this.

The main character, Macy, was relatable and likable from the get-go. I found her flaws realistic when looking at her past and everything she went through. And Elliot, too, was just as realistic and amazing. I loved these characters on their own but I loved them even more together. They brought out the best in each other. But what makes this story heart-wrenching and warm, at the same time, is their whole history - and how even though they are separated at 18, they find their way back into each others lives, ten years later.

I didn’t give a perfect 5 stars because this books lacks the “will withstand time” for me. I don’t see myself in ten years picking this up and raving about how good it was (maybe I will?). Only very few books possess that memorable quality where they literally change me as a person. And while this one changed me in the sense that I now realize “convenient relationship’s” more than I once did (like Macy’s and Sean’s relationship), it was more a cute and warm read than life-changing.

Still brilliant, though!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love and Other Words.

June 15, 2018 – Shelved
June 15, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
November 22, 2018 – Shelved as: owned
December 15, 2018 – Started Reading
December 15, 2018 – Shelved as: romance
December 15, 2018 – Shelved as: fiction
December 15, 2018 –
page 0
0.0% "What's adding a fifth book to my currently reading? lol"
December 15, 2018 –
page 113
26.9% "I'm ADORING this 💕"
December 16, 2018 –
page 223
53.1% "Maybe I'll manage to finish this today?? 😂"
December 17, 2018 –