C.G. Drews's Reviews > Shelter the Sea

Shelter the Sea by Heidi Cullinan

bookshelves: autism, contemporary, read-2018, new-adult, disability

Aww if this series isn't super sweet!! I really loved Carry the Ocean so much that I actually ordered this one directly after I'd finished it. AND I started reading Shelter The Sea like 1 day after it arrived. Um??? Who am I??? Please don't tell the other books on my TBR that I have sworn I'll "read next" for the last 87 years. But I'm seriously sad there's no more books! I didn't feel like this one had a fully THE END sort of cut off, so maybe more will come???????????

Anyway. I do admit I think book 1 was more dynamic, with character arcs and depth, while this one kind of plateaued for the characters --> while focusing mainly on the politics of getting funding for the Roosevelt. And they did important things! Raised awareness! Fought for disabled people to have actually average rights, while the government trashed them and cut funding. But without the characters growing/changing in the background, I did struggle to stay interseted in any of the political scenes.

I was living for the lowkey moments where Emmet and Jeremey were together. Oh oh! Or the times David and his sass swept into the room and knocked everyone else off the game board. (I LOVE DAVID.) Or the discovery of Darren's character!! Who is an actual nonverbal autistic genius! But these moments were so so much fewer than in book 1. 😭I MISS MY SONS.

(ESPECIALLY JEREMEY, HE IS MY FAV.)

But I continued to love the epic way all the disabilities are talked about! (I do wish they'd included some POC disabled characters though.) Autism, social anxiety, depression, quadriplegia...just to name a few! And the main couple is gay and one of the important side characters is aromantic!

Although, it is awfully...feel good. Like, gah, this feels rotten to even list negatively?!? IT'S NOT NEGATIVE TO HAVE DISABLED QUEER CHARACTERS HAVE HAPPY TIMES!! But it's just so so feel good that it turned to cotton candy a bit and agh. Balance maybe? I did thoroughly love how this one talked about money: and how we don't all get it lol lol. Money cramped their styles this time and that was def realistic.

Anyway!! I like this series! Jeremey is the softest kindest thing, and Emmet is adorable, and shipping it so bad, ok. I love that good things came to these two boys and I'm absolutely starved of books that do positive disability rep. SO. I'm here for that. But it is fluff, more so than the last one, and I missed the depth of book one...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shelter the Sea.

June 14, 2018 – Shelved