Miranda Reads's Reviews > Now I Rise

Now I Rise by Kiersten White

bookshelves: 2018-abc-reading-challenge

Do not lose that hunger. You will always have to fight... You will have to be more ruthless, more brutal, more everything.
Lada Dracul - Prince of Wallachia - is ready to rule her country...only that country refuses to be ruled by a Dracul or by a woman.

However, Lada has made her decision, and that is all that matters.
No one will be more brutal than me. No one will be more ruthless. And I will never stop fighting.
But she cannot rule alone - she has her loyal men, her childhood friend (Bogdan) and...well...that's about it.

What she desperately needs is the finesse and grace of her brother, Radu. His ease with political intricacies would allow her to take the throne with far less bloodshed...but he is unavailable.

Radu is just as hopelessly in love with Mehmed (the Sultan of the Ottomans) as he ever was. In a desperate bid for Mehmed's love, Radu plunges into the very pits of hell.
[Radu] had imagined Constantinople, had wanted it for Mehmed. It had been simple and straightforward. But now he knew the true cost of things, the murky horrors of the distance between wanting something and getting it.
Meanwhile, Mehmed (happy to get Radu out of his hair) sets off pursuing Lada but little does he know, only Wallachia has her heart.
The world will destroy her in the end. Too much spark leads to explosions.
Wow. I am stunned. Simply stunned.

Kiersten White has done it again - the way she crafts her characters and the way she sets up such intricate plots - I am in awe.

That being said, the middle of the book did feel a bit stagnant. Lada was all WALLACHIA while Radu was all CONSTANTINOPLE but despite their enthusiasm...they didn't seem like they were going very much of anywhere.

And yet...that ending though - made up for any and all stagnation! Lada is such a brutal badass. I love it.

A great sequel - through and through. I've got to get my hands on the third as soon as possible!

Audiobook Comments
Read by Fiona Hardingham - loved her voice. She did an excellent job with the characterizations!

The 2018 ABC Challenge - N

Blog | Instagram | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Now I Rise.

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

Catherine Yes! I'm glad you loved it as much as the first one! I hope you'll enjoy the last book too, I know I wasn't disappointed (which is something we often worry about when it comes to the end).

message 2: by KAS (new)

KAS So glad you were very pleasantly surprised with this read, Miranda :) Nice you totally loved the ending, too! Fantastic review! xoxo

Red_Queen_Lover Glad you loved it!! My thoughts exactly.

Miranda Reads Catherine wrote: "Yes! I'm glad you loved it as much as the first one! I hope you'll enjoy the last book too, I know I wasn't disappointed (which is something we often worry about when it comes to the end)."

I can't wait to get my hands on the third - such a good series!!

Miranda Reads KAS wrote: "So glad you were very pleasantly surprised with this read, Miranda :) Nice you totally loved the ending, too! Fantastic review! xoxo"

Miranda Reads Red_Queen_Lover wrote: "Glad you loved it!! My thoughts exactly."

Wooho :) Glad you liked it too!!

Hanaa Yay! You loved it. I love when people react to this the same way i did.

Miranda Reads hurray :)

Drewthereader19 I'm planing on reading this book next! I just bought the auidobook for it!(:

Miranda Reads it's got a fab audio :) great choice

Drewthereader19 Sweet! I’m super excited for it now

Miranda Reads you totally should be :D fabulous book!

Holly I really enjoyed this one too - Lada and Radu definitely have a unique brother/sister relationship and this is not a 'typical' YA book.

Miranda Reads totally agree. Such a refreshing YA novel!