Jim C's Reviews > To Die in Vienna

To Die in Vienna by Kevin Wignall

I received this book thru a Goodreads giveaway for an honest review. I would like to thank the author and the publishing company for their giveaway.

This book can be classified as a spy genre novel. In this one, Freddie has been watching a man for over a year. Someone makes a move on Freddie and the person he is watching. Freddie has no idea why and who and Freddie has to figure this out before he is killed.

I am not the biggest fan of the spy genre but I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The strength of this book was the main character. He is not your typical spy that is the envy of men and women. He is a flawed character that has a checkered past that he feels remorse from. I also liked the investigative portion of this book as I kept on wondering who was part of the spy game or who was an innocent bystander. The finale was terrific and the surprise at the end works and totally surprised me.

This book is a great example of why I like the giveaways on this website. This author was totally unknown to me and this is not my favorite genre. That being said, I enjoyed every second of the book and I will definitely check out more from this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Die in Vienna.

June 14, 2018 – Shelved
June 14, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
June 15, 2018 – Started Reading
June 18, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Dan Blanchette I agree with your thoughts on this, although I am a big fan of the spy genre. I too liked the fact that Freddie is a somewhat flawed character and a second-tier spy, but his humanity is what I enjoyed the most. And the fact that this story was a uni-directional narrative which could very well have been told in the first person.

message 2: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim C Dan Blanchette wrote: "I agree with your thoughts on this, although I am a big fan of the spy genre. I too liked the fact that Freddie is a somewhat flawed character and a second-tier spy, but his humanity is what I enjo..."

With his flaws you could relate to him and connect with the character. I am glad I won this giveaway and I would read another book with him as the main character.

Dan Blanchette I'd also like to see Freddie in another book, but I don't think Wignall would do that.