Lisa (littlemeadowreads)'s Reviews > Forever Disguised

Forever Disguised by Annie              Woods

bookshelves: contemporaries, owned-books, read-2018

*4.5 stars

Have you ever heard of the second book syndrome? In this situation, the second book in a series falls short in comparison of the first book. It happens a lot in YA and it has traumatized me. Every time I start a sequel, I am so afraid to get disappointed. Lucky for me this was not the case for forever disguised (sequel to first came forever). This book has not only the same space and vibe to it as the first book, but also intrigued me just as much as first came forever. In short: I absolutely loved this book. I am pretty sure if you loved the first book, you will absolutely love this one as well.

The plot is a bit different than the first book. It takes off right after the events of the first book. Erica is dealing with the loss of the love of her life (Sacha aka Prince Alexander) and a surprise pregnancy. The assault of Sacha was planned and organized by people who want to take the Adonian throne for themselves. So Erica and her unborn child’s life in danger. Thus, this book is darker and more suspenseful than the first installment. It deals with heavier topics such a grief, teen pregnancy and the responsibilities when you become a (young) mother. But there is also of hope in this book; life after the loss of a beloved person, moving on and finding new love and that you would not have to give up your dreams when you become pregnant. I was fully involved in the story and I was flipping the pages to see what would happen. My main and maybe only issue with the book that there are a couple of chapters told for the perspective of other people instead of the main characters and I found that those chapters were unnecessary for me to understand the events.

I really applaud the author for writing such realistic characters. After reading forever disguised, I can say that Erica is one of my all-time favourite characters. She is well developed, she grows a lot and is not afraid to make difficult decisions; even decisions that are right but have a negative consequence for herself. She is young and obviously makes mistakes, but she is mature in the way she handles situations. I found it really refreshing that she is not another drama queen. I loved reading about all the other characters we got to meet in the first book. They all go to college and it is interesting to read how he all changes and become grown up during the story.

Tyler really grew on me. I still find him to be selfish and I think he loves Erica a tat too much. However, he is sweet and charming. He really stepped up his game in this story and that really made me appreciated him. He still has a lot to learn and growing to do, but at the moment he is doing the best that he can. All the side characters have lifes parallel to that of the main storyline. So they grow and develop as characters and you see little parts of that when they interact with the main characters. I was a little bit disappointed that there was not a lot of Sacha in this book. But I really hope that his part is bigger in the next book.
The writing style is the same as in first came forever. Annie Woods has a unique writing style that really clicks with me. Her stories develop over a larger time span in comparison to the average YA novel and are told in relatively short chapters that focus on one or a couple of important events. Not everything that happens in the story, happens on the pages and I find this way of storytelling really intriguing. The larger time span also makes the character development feel more natural because you are aware of the time that has past.

As I said above, this book deals with some heavy topics but still manages to give a hopeful impression. I am lucky so far that I have not lost a beloved person in my life. So I cannot judge the accuracy of Erica’s grief. I found it realistic that Erica manages to give her sadness of losing Sacha a place and continue with her life but also shows that the pain of losing someone important never goes away. I also really appreciated that Erica did not let her pregnancy influence her dreams and that she is mature enough that she puts her baby’s needs before her own.

I found this to be a really heartwarming and loving story. It is a great continuation of the series and I cannot wait to read the next book. You should definitely read this series if you love dramatic romance stories with a more mature female heroine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever Disguised.

June 14, 2018 – Started Reading
June 14, 2018 – Shelved
June 14, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
June 14, 2018 – Shelved as: owned-books
June 14, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporaries
June 19, 2018 –
page 55
16.82% "This is getting interesting"
June 24, 2018 – Finished Reading