Scott Spotson's Reviews > The Goldenwealth Light

The Goldenwealth Light by Scott McCloskey

19037198

Wow, this was sure some enticing children's fantasy. With a nod to transgender people, perhaps, although definitely from a simple child's viewpoint and without the details or the politics.

I was ready to give this a full five stars, but the book ended abruptly. I prefer stand-alone novels. Contrary to what authors of series of incomplete books might think, loving the first book doesn't mean I would automatically read the second. Believe it or not, expectation, i.e. getting a feel of how much is left, knowing the extent of my commitment to a wondrous story -- does make a huge difference. J.R.R. Tolkien might be able to get away with it in Lord of the Rings, but not everyone else.

One tiny thing in the story bothered me. In one stage, Theo and Marie run away from danger in an immense forest, and then they find a beast that can carry them fast over a large all-day distance. Yet, some days later, everyone reunites... even the horse that was abandoned in a third place! I think the odds would be very low in such a vast wilderness and plains. Or that all friends would survive a hostile attack and find each other. Even if they eventually found a path in common after splitting up, the random timing issue would suggest that a travelling troupe would be far ahead or behind another.

I loved the scene where Theo and his friends are attacked by what appear to be apparitions (I won't reveal much more) and Theo finds creative use of a pen. Very original.

Cover could be better. The image is fine conceptually, but not the artwork.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goldenwealth Light.

Started Reading