C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Red Scrolls of Magic

The Red Scrolls of Magic by Cassandra Clare

bookshelves: 5-star, paranormal, read-2019, young-adult, ya-male-narrators, best-of-2019

the fact that we have been given a whole book of Malec is a GIFT and I am in appreciation right now. I think it's set after City of Fallen Angels, so it was a bit of a throwback too and heartily reminded me that (1) I really need to reread TMI because I remember so little lolol, and (2) I've missed the old crew so much! Isabel and Jace only spoke to Alec on the phone through this, but like the warm feelings of tHE OLD SQUAD just made me happy.

| PLOT |
So Magnus and Alec are off on a Europe "vacation" except obviously that's a disaster and they end up hunting down a cult which Magnus may or may not have started. There's demons, doomed train rides, exploding houses, satanic rituals, blazing swords, and Alec charging into trouble the very second it blinks because he's a freaking Gryffindor and can't help himself. ALL THE GOOD STUFF. So so little relaxing was done. Magnus was very put out like 90% of the time. One of his meltdowns included being upset at the prospect of dying when everyone around him was so badly dressed.

Magnus is everything.

| MALEC |
I mean, I love these two. I remember feeling like Alec was a bit whiny the first time I read TMI...which is why I desperately want to reread it. Because, look, Alec was a closeted gay kid absolutely buckling under the pressure of needing to be a great enough hero, a good enough person, someone everyone loved enough...that when they realised he was gay, the would still love him. And like punch me in the gut why don't you thanks. Alec resonates with me so much, and I know with so so many other readers. I'm SO glad more of his thoughts and perspectives are in this book. I simultaneously want to hug him and cry and also be in awe of him.

And we know Magnus is the definition of "MOVE IM GAY" while in the midst of being a fabulous disaster. He's not perfect, he's foolish, he has an amazing arc about vulnerability in this book. And it just makes me love him more.

Also every time they get romantic...it gets interrupted by like, demonic activity lmaoooo. Nothing like a demon here to spit on your love life. BUT!! The soft scenes, the gentle cuddling scenes, the kisses, the deepening relationship of two people who are learning to be vulnerable --- ajfldksad I loved it.

| MAKE ME LAAAUGH |
Dude, no joke. This book is a CRACK UP. I laughed so much and the lines were golden. They also dragged Jace just the whole time for no reason and it was amazing. Also Magnus can't stop talking and his whole personality is basically just SHEDS GLITTER, WATCH OUT. omg I love him.

| CAMEOS |
There are so so many other characters who make an appearance! I SCREAM. Okay first off, most importantly, we get Helen Blackthorn and Aline backstory!!! I MEAN. MY GIRLS. Also the Blackthorns are mentioned, Raphael is here (being so pissy and antisocial I love him), Barnabus Hale is there, oh and Jonny Rook for a while. Tessa makes an appearance. And they mention so many others in passing it's just like one long moment of me, now turned into Captain America, looking up and saying "I UNDERSTOOD THAT REFERENCE."

daaaamn how does Cassandra Clare actually keep this entire universe in her head. pls don't tell me she's anything short of a genius.

| OVERALL |
hi i'm obsessed and it was perfect HOW ARE YOU. I just love how it was so so funny, and it was really a good adventurous romp after how stressful QOAAD was. But it was also vulnerable and soft. And I love the killing demon scenes, but I also love just two worn out magical creatures flopped on a Venetian lounge, cuddling before the next scene of bloodstain and bruises. The balance? *clenches fist* too good. I loved this book so much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Scrolls of Magic.

June 14, 2018 – Shelved
June 14, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
June 10, 2019 – Started Reading
June 10, 2019 –
page 50
14.29% "Alec: when I meet new people, I find them very annoying.
Alec: and then the more I get to know them--
Magnus: you like them?!
Alec: no
Alec: I find them even more annoying."
June 11, 2019 –
page 111
31.71% "Magnus: I'm very frustrated we keep getting attacked by demons.
Alec: yeah it's scary nearly dying--
Magnus: no 👏🏻
Magnus: they are ruining my outfits 👏🏻 and interrupting my kissing 👏🏻"
June 13, 2019 –
page 200
57.14% "me, reading any other YA book: oh 350 pages is a decent size.

me, reading a Cassandra Clare book: 350 pages?! WHAT IS THIS TINY LITTLE WALNUT lmaoooo"
June 13, 2019 –
page 220
62.86% ""I thought: classic Jace. Never makes a mess when a total catastrophe will do."

I am so so appreciating how often Jace gets dragged in this book. He's not even really IN it. Everyone just roasts him casually at every opportunity and I'm here for it 😌(This line is also right after Aline was surprised that Jace isn't dating SIMON 😂😂😂)"
June 13, 2019 – Shelved as: 5-star
June 13, 2019 – Shelved as: paranormal
June 13, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
June 13, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult
June 13, 2019 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators
June 13, 2019 – Shelved as: best-of-2019
June 13, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel 5 stars!!! Yay!!!

message 2: by Sašenka (new)

Sašenka Does it spoil anything from the Dark Artifices trilogy? (Lady Midnight, etc) I haven't read those three yet (I know shame on me) and I wondered if I need to read them first before reading this one

C.G. Drews Sašenka wrote: "Does it spoil anything from the Dark Artifices trilogy? (Lady Midnight, etc)..."

I don't think so! There are a few characters' cameos who won't seem significant if you haven't read TDA, but it doesn't spoil anything because it's set long before TDA starts!

message 4: by Sašenka (new)

Sašenka C.G. wrote: "Sašenka wrote: "Does it spoil anything from the Dark Artifices trilogy? (Lady Midnight, etc)..."

perfect, thanks!

Devika Dinesh Yaasss I loved it so so much too. At the same time, this book felt long overdue. like after qooad (WHOSE ENDING I WONT SPOIL BUT WAS THE LITERAL BEST I WAS UGLY CRYING WITH JOY), all of a sudden we're back t the beginning and it took me a while to get used to that. to get used to them getting used to each other lol.

C.G. Drews Devika wrote: "Yaasss I loved it so so much too. At the same time, this book felt long overdue. like after qooad (WHOSE ENDING I WONT SPOIL BUT WAS THE LITERAL BEST I WAS UGLY CRYING WITH JOY), all of a sudden we..."

Yeah! I actually thought this was supposed to be set when they had kids 😂but I'm glad it was this time, this is great, because we definitely missed out on their relationship deepening and just having both of them narrating. (Has Alec even ever narrated?) And the Shadowhunters timeline jumps all over the place, so that I'm ok with hahha.