Books and Spoons's Reviews > Encore

Encore by Rachel Lacey

bookshelves: contemporary, earc

A fun, sexy, and vastly entertaining marriage of a drunken accident turned into a marriage of convenience with a rock star story with fresh and clever emotional plot twists.
The way Rachel Lacey writes the stories easily hooks my mind, and I am keen to get to know the sharp and strong characters she creates and cheer for them, wanting them to find their way to the HEA. The stories are more character driven than focused on their surroundings and lifestyle, though there are enough bling, parting, and glamour in this story to give the celebrity status of the characters validity. But even with the dazzle of the rock star life, the characters have the kind of 'regular people' vibe to them, that is appealing. They are sincere, likable, thoughtful people, they have their strengths and weaknesses, they have their family drama, and they feel deeply and love unconditionally.
Though Rocker Colton Nix represents in the limelights the kind of person - a womanizing millionaire rock star who sleeps around more than most of his peers - that normally would not be my favorite kind of hero, Colton managed to win me over rather easily. Underneath that rocker exterior, there is a considerate, caring, kind man, who loves what he does and cares about people around him. He has his vulnerabilities, he has his reasons to be the way he is, he doesn't try to hide it or be anything that he isn't. I liked him, a lot, and I felt for him when he was hurting and confused. His attraction to Jenn was rather adorable while steaming hot (with a way more boners than I needed to be aware of).
Jenn MacDonald is organized, analytical, goal-oriented, and always prepared for everything. Her obsession with her ideal husband material showed an emotional immaturity that I found tiresome after awhile. I had a bit difficult time to connect with Jenn, to understand her reasoning, the hot-and-cold she was pulling with Colton, especially in the beginning. But she too grew on me, and seeing her mature and come to accept herself and her feelings as they were was refreshing.
Encore is the best kind of summer reading there is for sizzling hot romance lovers. It is lively, entertaining, and enjoyable. There are enough emotional depth and growth with characters to be appealing without being loaded with angst and turmoil. The plot has the familiarity of a marriage of convenience stories yet is told in an original and fresh way that is captivating, and the many detailed love scenes entice while heating up the pages. This alluring and entertaining tale easily swept me away, a great mind-escape romance, that has you swooning and smiling at the end.
~ Four Spoons

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Encore.

Started Reading