Akilah's Reviews > Ship It

Ship It by Britta Lundin

liked it
bookshelves: approved, 59, 2020, lgbt

This was a fun plane read, wholly engaging and a fast read. The author's note says this was originally a screenplay, and I can see that because all of the scenes were super vivid and the dialogue was on point.

While I really enjoyed reading the book, I am torn on a rating. See, the thing is Claire engages in a lot of Very Bad Behavior, and she never faces any consequences for any of it--in fact, she is REWARDED for doing things that are ethically challenged and, in some cases, borderline illegal. As another matter of fact, the other characters suffer for her actions, and she still somehow...doesn't care? The character engages in zero self-reflection and is only genuinely hurt by the things that happen to the fictional characters in her world, and no one ever calls her on the fact that she does Awful Things. I mean, more than one character enables her! And, I mean, that's certainly a choice for the author to make.

Also, and it can't be said enough: Tess deserves so much better. You can take that in any way you like.

So, 3.5 stars, rounding down

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ship It.

June 13, 2018 – Shelved