Aidan's Reviews > A Canticle for Leibowitz

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.

Jun 11, 2008

it was ok

Not my jam.

Considering it was published in the late '50s, Miller plays with a lot of interesting concepts, some of which hold up better in 2017 than others, and I can commend his vision. Otherwise I feel like this book shows too much of its age in ways that eroded my enjoyment--specifically how women are a) non-existent, or b) devices for male character growth. Its worst sin, however, is that I found it boring. Similarly speculative novels like Ursula K Le Guin's The Dispossessed and Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale remain relevant (though, it's worth noting that Le Guin's work is 15 years younger, and Atwood's is 26) and fascinating to consider in a modern context, whereas Leibowitz struggled to convince me that it was anything but dusty—even if I can see the shininess beneath.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Canticle for Leibowitz.

Quotes Aidan Liked

Walter M. Miller Jr.
“You don’t have a soul, Doctor. You are a soul. You have a body, temporarily.”
Walter M. Miller Jr., A Canticle for Leibowitz

May 18, 2017 –
May 18, 2017 –
May 30, 2017 –
May 30, 2017 – Finished Reading

[redacted by S.H.I.E.L.D.] What! We must Kung fu fight!

message 2: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon Aidan, please explain yourself. :P I've read this multiple times and am saddened you were not enamored.

Christopher Wow, ok.

Aidan Haha. Leibowitz Defense Force is armed and ready!

Just not my thing, guys. Glad you all enjoyed it, though. :)

Christopher Ah, I see the whole review now; it wasn't showing on the update earlier for some reason.

I didn't actually think about the lack of women, I guess because the story was focused so much on the church and there is a dearth of women in those to begin with? So it seemed natural for there to be so few.

Kainxviii Hah, agreed about boring part :)