Tifnie's Reviews > Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight: An African Childhood

liked it
bookshelves: autobiography
Recommended to Tifnie by: SLO book club
Read from November 27 to December 01, 2011

This book starts off with: "Don't come creeping into our room at night...we might shoot you."

I immediately knew I would enjoy reading this book. A profound read it is not, however. And I add this becuase this book was liken to Beryl Markham which having read a Beryl Markham I would have to say the only similarities are that they are white women in Africa in a time when they probably shouldn't be.

Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight is about Alexandra Fullers's childhood growing up in rural Zambia, Africa. I grimaced quite a few times while reading this book due to the lack of parenting, protection, and the ill-support of Alexandra and her sister, Vanessa. At one point in the story, Vanessa might have or almost did (the author doesn't go into detail) get raped by a man that the parents had watching thier girls. When Vanessa tells her mother, she replies, "don't exagerate."

While reading this book my senses didn't come alive with Africa and I had a hard time understanding the connection. Our author ends her story with telling us her love of Africa and how it will always be with her. I was stumped. Because throughout her memoir, she talks about isolation, dried crops, wild animals, fleas, malaria, and the civil war. Obviously none of which are in a positive note.

Overall, it was a fun read but nothing to write home about. I would read Beryl Markham over Alexandra Fuller any day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight.