Jesse's Reviews > Collected Works of Marx and Engels

Collected Works of Marx and Engels by Karl Marx
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Collected Works of Marx and Engels.

message 1: by C (new)

C That could take a lifetime!

message 2: by Jesse (new) - added it

Jesse One must learn German to tackle this, really.

message 3: by Jesse (new) - added it

Jesse Ugly language - beautiful thought, and vice versa? Is this a dialectical relation guys? I'm reading Althusser's Humanist Controversy papers; have you read this Chris?

message 4: by C (new)

C Maybe, what's the exact title?
I've read a lot of Althusser, and I'm starting to agree with you, it's increasingly clear Althusser is writing about works he never actually read....

message 5: by Jesse (new) - added it

Jesse It's not me, his claim to illiteracy was a deranged deathbed confession. But his library attests that he heavily annotated many books by Marx, Lacan, Derrida, etc. I'm reading his spiel about Feuerbach being the humanist in Marx and how the "ensemble of social relations" is not the "human essence", but rather the alienation of history without a teleological purpose..

message 6: by C (new)

C Interesting.
Yeah I've read all those. Honestly I find his work to be terrible. It's clear he has a brilliant mind to him, but bar none I can't think of a single kernel within his shell worth remembering. I've written two refutations of him so far, but none compare to the one written by Kolakowski:

message 7: by C (new)

C I rarely say this, but I'm wishing I hadn't read him at all, merely because it was a huge waste of time.

message 8: by Jesse (last edited Dec 06, 2011 01:54PM) (new) - added it

Jesse Yeah, it's almost like he wants you to be as clueless as him by the end of whatever you're reading by him... so that, as a result, scared and frightened of any understanding, you'll hug the legs of the Communist Party. The only two things I can get from his texts are - word puns and raging hatred. Every time he says "THIS is counter-revolutionary!" I feel sick inside, because whatever it is, it's obviously not.

message 9: by C (new)

C Hahahahahahahaha

message 10: by C (new)

C Honestly, my serious opinion is that the publication of all the earlier works was a serious - necessarily so - threat upon the more vulgar Stalinist CP style of Marxism, and Althusser pulls every conjurers trick out of his charlatan hat to preserve a philosophy he's too intelligent to know has no legs to stand on. Much like the Stalinist, he claims his position in the name of Marx to give it some kind of moral credibility, while really holding more nefarious reasons for adopting a non-marxian marxist philosophy.

message 11: by Blake (new)

Blake I agree as well, shallow and pedantic.

message 12: by C (new)

C Peter Griffen?

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think you are facing a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong.

message 14: by C (new)

C Sounds like an absolute statement derived from inductive probability and assumption, which is at best faulty logic and at worst a faith based contradiction.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction.

message 16: by C (new)

C Non sequitur

message 17: by Blake (new)

Blake Ayn is just awesome...but she's not me, if that's what you're thinking.

message 18: by C (new)

C Now why would you suspect I suspect Ayn to be you?

message 19: by Blake (new)

Blake I don't like your tone. As a matter of fact, I find it rather shallow and pedantic.

message 20: by Redial (new)

Redial As Blake's best friend I came here to ruin his image. Ask me anything.

message 21: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Is Blake a good driver?

message 22: by Redial (new)

Redial Blake actually lives ina really small village and rides his bike everywhere as he works locally. It has a bell and ribbons. Or the alternative answer may be...no

message 23: by Kristen (new)

Kristen What color ribbons?

message 24: by Redial (new)

Redial Blue, because he's a man.

message 25: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Of course.

And if he has a date, does he ride his date around on the handlebars or does his mom drive him?

message 26: by Redial (new)

Redial He actually has a little side car for dates and they play trumpet music as he peddles her to the cafe

message 27: by Kristen (new)

Kristen I was totally going to ask if he had a wagon he could tie to the back of the bike or something!

Next question: Why did Blake make an Ayn Rand sock puppet just to impress Jesse?

message 28: by Redial (new)

Redial Because he's gay

message 29: by Kristen (new)

Kristen If Blake married Jesse who would be the man in the relationship?

message 30: by Redial (new)

Redial Me

message 31: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Do redheads have souls like us normal people?

message 32: by Redial (new)

Redial only on their ugly shoes

message 33: by Kristen (new)

Kristen If Blake was a tree what species of tree would he be?

message 34: by Blake (new)

Blake Jeez, this weirdness is spilling out everywhere.

message 35: by Jesse (new) - added it

Jesse If I may suggest a reason for not thinking "Ayn is awesome" - to not believe in guilt is to not believe in responsibility. If one denies either, one denies freedom. If one denies freedom, one affirms slavery and is, therefore, definitionally evil. This is what Ayn Rand does. Therefore, Ayn is evil. Of course, if you don't believe in contradictions, you cannot recognize that denying guilt and affirming freedom in the same breath, as Ayn does, doesn't make sense.

message 36: by Blake (new)

Blake Ayn Rand believed in guilt. No gold star!

message 37: by Kristen (last edited Dec 12, 2011 05:56PM) (new)

Kristen Piss poor defense!
Jesse: 1
Blake: 0

What do you say to critics who call Ayn Rand an evil bitch who embodies every dark, base instinct of human kind and if one were to take her seriously (luckily no one does) it would mean nothing less then abandoning everything we like to think makes us human and we'd start eating our young, burning old people alive for fuel and making the retarded pull our plows.
Yeah, what about that smart guy?

message 38: by Jesse (last edited Dec 13, 2011 09:14AM) (new) - added it

Jesse "I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being." If one says this, one rules out justifying one's acts, and therefore the concept of guilt.

Even if no one took her seriously intellectually, it doesn't matter, because almost everyone takes her seriously institutionally. It's not a question of whether all of what you described might happen, since that is already our society; Rand just adds the rah-rah to it.

message 39: by C (new)

C Such non Cartesian sentiments Jesse!

message 40: by Blake (last edited Dec 13, 2011 02:52PM) (new)

Blake Context, context, context.

Kristen wrote: What do you say to critics who call Ayn Rand an evil bitch who embodies every dark, base instinct of human kind and if one were to take her seriously (luckily ..."

I would say: "Now you have to read her". ;p

In all honesty, I find your take on this rather shallow and pedantic.

message 41: by Kristen (new)

Kristen

You're going to have to answer for your Ayn Rand fetish sooner or later . . . unless you are just trolling me of course.

God, I hope you're only trolling me!

message 42: by Blake (new)

Blake lol, but I don't even like Ayn Rand very much. I only read her books the once and I rarely even think of her anymore. It's just that people misrepresent her to an insane degree and I find it ugly, so I try and correct them when it comes up.

But no one wants the correction. They just get really vitriolic and weird.

message 43: by Jesse (new) - added it

Jesse Institutions aren't material; they're set up with rational interests in mind. And remember Chris, inductions are about experience. Saying "There are no contradictions" or "All knowledge is remembering" are not inductive statements. Saying "There are no black swans" or "There are two moons" are.

message 44: by C (new)

C Right and to prove all knowledge is remembering requires an experimental test. To garner unprecedented knowledge requires material innovation, not ideAlist innovation.

message 45: by Blake (new)

Blake Jesse wrote: "The philosophy of "I like money" doesn't really possess enough nuance for it to even be possible that it might be misrepresented."

And yet here we are. Must be time to check your premises. ;)

message 46: by Jesse (new) - added it

Jesse "To garner unprecedented knowledge requires material innovation, not ideAlist innovation."

What you think is a material innovation is really an ideal one, for there is no such thing as matter. Unprecedented knowledge comes about through the active energies of spontaneous spirit; there is no other source.

message 47: by C (last edited Dec 15, 2011 12:24PM) (new)

C Dude I am cracking up at the absurdity of this!

Yes it was the spontaneous spirit - albeit you argue all capacities are in full gear in an a priori sense - that developed the steam engine from metals found in the mountains. And I suppose it's just "spirit" that accounts for why the Chinese developed gun powder when the Mayans never did; and not the material-geographical surroundings spirit was born into?

There is no recovering from Hegalitus.

message 48: by Jesse (last edited Dec 15, 2011 04:05PM) (new) - added it

Jesse You just mustn't confuse the means for a refinement of knowledge (since all knowledge, if it is knowledge, has its basis in the mind knowing it) with the sources of knowledge - it's a fine point, but that's philosophy for you.

The knowledge required for making gunpowder, as for all invention, exists already in archetype in the mind; if it were otherwise, presented with all the necessaries for gunpowder, we would just stare at them for millennia. This is actually a Cartesian point, not a Hegelian one, since the latter places the human essence outside the individual, and then, of course, geography matters. The human essence, though, is the same for Chinese as for Mayans. And don't make fun of the word "spirit", for, after all, though we know little of it, we know nothing of matter, and, as a good Marxist studying philosophy, you should know these are the only two philosophies we have at hand; and you should know it's not absurd to work with what we know rather than what we don't.

message 49: by Blake (new)

Blake Do you guys read any of the current analytic philosophy? Or is the stuff you write about the same stuff you read about?

Nothing bad is meant here, I'm just curious.

message 50: by C (new)

C I'm in philosophy school, analytic work is omnipresent, Marx and Hegel are escapes from academia, not nose dives into it.

« previous 1