Erica Robbin's Reviews > Bearskin

Bearskin by James A. McLaughlin

bookshelves: audiobooks, fiction, mystery, thriller

I really liked this one! I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a read that takes place in a woodsy setting, who appreciates the outdoors and is looking for a creatively layered mystery thriller.

Bearskin by James A. McLaughlin © 2019 ericarobbin.com | All rights reserved.

I started it out on digital and ultimately changed to the audiobook version, which I'd highly recommend as it made it even more thrilling.

I really liked the way the author set up the scenes. It was gripping and suspenseful and there were inter sprinklings of humor which I much appreciated. The characters were compelling in the sense that their thoughts and subsequent actions made me want to "see what happens next" with each line. I liked the plausible approach to everything that was happening from the mindset of those participating in the drug and bear cartels to the way to the interactions and dialogue between characters.

I did feel that the author could have made the writing style a bit more colorful to make the storyline match the risks that were being presented. The descriptions for example: the green grass, whitened teeth, a strong grip, overcast sky, the hot sun... the hot sun... and repeated again, the hot sun... The story structure as a result could have been just a bit more fascinating to read.

I guess I wanted a bit more picturesque, creatively written, take a risk prose. I will say that there were wonderfully written parts that were engaging to my soul. I wanted just a little more of what drew me to the book in the first place. But I definitely enjoyed the story as a whole and it's definitely not boring. There were just a few opportunities within the writing itself that I think could have really added depth and vividness to the story.

I will look forward to reading more books by this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bearskin.

June 13, 2018 – Shelved