John's Reviews > The Seven Sisters

Dec 02, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: literature, fiction
Read in August, 2011

This, the first work I have read by Drabble left me with mixed feelings. This work traces Candida (all sorts of allusion and inferences can be made becasue of this characters name), a recent divorcee as she moves to London and slowly accumulates a diverse collection of friends. This group ultimately plans, and travels on a joint holiday to greece and other mediterranean venues.
The novel is partitioned into a couple of distinct sections, the first which is told in the first person, traces Candida as she explores London and meets friends. The second part is a third person telling of the vacation, then there is a third part, which is very odd - which seems to be a dream state imagining the main character as deceased, and a fourth short vague concluding section.
Overall, I lost interest or love for the book with the two last sections which I just found odd, and not very cohesive with the richly written earlier two portions. There were some delightful short turns of phrase which almost made it a worthwhile read on its own. Not enough for me to avoid other Drabble works, but neither will it prompt me to seek out other works.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seven Sisters.

07/23/2016 marked as: read