Nasom's Reviews > Perfected

Perfected by Kate Jarvik Birch

bookshelves: complete-series-tbr, dystopian

Full Review
This is one of those books I did not even know existed or remembered that I actually added to my tbr pile lol. I decided to give it a go and I actually quite liked it.

What I liked
- I found the concept interesting and unique: A world where some girls are made (literally with genetical reengineering) to become pets to people. Our main character, Ella is one of these people and she is bought by a congressman as a pet to his daughter. I liked reading from Ella's POV as she navigates her new life (before she was bought, she was pretty much living in isolation with other pets). She pretty much has the mentality of a child.

What I didn't like
- Romance: it's not that I hated it, I just didn't understand it. Like why did Penn, the congressman's son, fall in love with Ella? Like I said, she has the mentality of a child giving her situation so I didn't understand the connection. The only reason i can see was that she was unique but that should not have been enough. They had some romantic moments though, but in general, it was a little bit overly dramatic especially at the end.

- So Ella didn't know how to read or swim, which are things that the congressman's daughter liked so I didn't really get her purpose. The pets are supposed to be trained to serve their masters well but there was clearly a mismatch.

Overall, it was good but I don't think I would be reading the rest of the series. It should have been a standalone or duology (I won't have minded only one more book)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfected.

June 12, 2018 – Shelved