Nic's Reviews > The Horse and His Boy

The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis

U 50x66
Jun 11, 2008

Read in June, 2008 , read count: 2

(As with all the Narnia books, I read this years ago, but am rereading it now.)

I have to say, having now reread all of the Narnia books except for The Last Battle, that this is my favorite. It's coherent, exciting, and has likeable characters. I even found Aslan much more likeable in this one; I think it's because he does less scolding and more helping, and he's better integrated into the plot than in, say, Prince Caspian.

I've also decided that I kind of like Lewis' weird semi-omniscient talks-to-the-reader narration. At least twice in this book, he says something like "Shasta had never seen so many trees before. If you had been there, you would have known they were [names of tree species here:] . . ." or "Shasta smelled a delicious smell he had never smelled before, but I hope that you have." At one point, he says that Shasta would not have planned to cross the desert "if he had read as many books about deserts as you have." That kind of cracked me up. Still, it's all sort of charming and does draw you into the story, I think, by making you actually consider these things more as you would if you were there.

Also nice, this books seems much less sexist than some of the others. Half of the four most important characters (for much of the story, anyway) are female, and if Shasta is nobler than Aravis (who is still admirably loyal and resourceful), Hwin is a nobler horse than Bree, so it balances pretty well. Queen Lucy is also pretty cool, though I wasn't a fan of Corin's "Lucy is as good as a man, or at any rate as good as a boy," comment. But then, I remembered as I read that I never was much of a fan of Corin at all - his whole character seems devoted to "knocking people down." There's definitely some glorification of battle - Shasta has to learn to conduct himself in battle, when I always thought it was a shame that Corin made him go in the first place when he didn't want to. Still, all in all, a good book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Horse and His Boy.

11/07/2016 marked as: read

Michaela I thought Corin was kinda funny but annoying :) Aravis was kind of a jerk at first, but Hwin did have a lot more sense than Bree :) I loved at the end when it talked about Shasta and Aravis arguing and making up again, and they got married so they could do it more conveniently! :)

message 2: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Michaela wrote: "I thought Corin was kinda funny but annoying :) Aravis was kind of a jerk at first, but Hwin did have a lot more sense than Bree :) I loved at the end when it talked about Shasta and Aravis arguing..."

Haha, yeah. And glad I'm not the only one to take issue with Corin a bit!