Jaime's Reviews > The Treachery of Beautiful Things

The Treachery of Beautiful Things by Ruth Frances Long

I have wanted to read this book since the very first time that I saw the amazing cover. Once it was released and reviews started coming out, I got a little but nervous because there were some not so great ones. That didn't at all change my mind about wanting to read it, but it did make me wonder how I would feel about it. I should not have worried. The Treachery of Beautiful Things absolutely took my breath away. Beautifully written, the world jumped off of the pages and the characters right along with it. I can still close my eyes and see The Realm, and Jack and Jenny, Puck and Tom, Titania and Oberon. The Leczi and the dragon, The Woodsman. This book is a masterpiece in my eyes. My whole heart was in this with me.
The story unfolds slowly, piece by piece. It gains momentum, and you learn things along the way. It makes you think. Ruth Frances Long doesn't tell you what she wants you to know, she shows it to you. She didn't lay it all out for me, she made me go on this journey with Jenny. And I loved every single second of it. It is only the beginning of the year, but The Treachery has easily earned a top spot for my 2013 Reads list.
My only issue? Please don't let this be a standalone. I can't believe that I am saying this, but I need more of this world. I need to know the rest of the story. I feel like there are so many things hanging in the balance. The ending was fantastic, but it feels like there is so much more that needs to come. I truly hope that there is a book 2.
Recommended for everyone; no language, no sexual situations, or any other inappropriate situations. Some violence, but nothing too bad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Treachery of Beautiful Things.

December 1, 2011 – Shelved
January 1, 2013 – Started Reading
January 2, 2013 –
page 171
46.72% "What amazing world-building. This is a gorgeous world the author has created. And I love Jenny. I have read in some reviews that she is a damsel in distress type, but I don't see it. She is holding her own in a strange world, but she can't do it alone. She has to have help to navigate it. I think she is wonderful. The characters are all so well fleshed out. I think this is going to be a great one."
January 4, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Tabitha You're right this WAS amazing - I liked the slow build as well. You know what though - I'm the opposite of you - I'm hoping there won't be a book two. I love stand alones - I feel like this story ended perfectly!

Jaime I love stand alones too, and most of the time I am so happy when I read one and know that was that. But sometimes, there are books like this one. It had the perfect ending, and I am okay without another one, but the story was so beautiful, I don't think that I would complain!

Tabitha I agree, it was dark and twisted and everything faerie ought to be! I was so surprised by the happy ending!

Jaime I would much rather have dark and twisted Fae stories. That is just the way it should be. The cutesy ones kinda make me want to puke!

Tabitha Jaime wrote: "I would much rather have dark and twisted Fae stories. That is just the way it should be. The cutesy ones kinda make me want to puke!"

Agreed dark and gritty is so much better!