Cedony's Reviews > The Great and Secret Show

The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker

Jun 11, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: 2008-from-april-24, fantasy, reviewed, supernatural
Recommended for: People who like trippy books. People who find themselves questioning religion...
Read in June, 2008

I would have given this three and a half stars, if that had been possible. I liked it. It was definitely well written and kept me reading (even though I really shouldn't have been, since exam season is here, and I'm busy). But there was something about it that didn't sit well with me. Maybe because I didn't find myself connecting with any of the numerous characters introduced in this book.

It has religious undertones, and will make you question the world as you know it. There were some points in the story, especially earlier on when the author is setting the plot up, when I wasn't able to set this book aside even though I should really have been doing something else. But then there were long stretches when I just wanted to fast forward things and get to the good bits that I knew Clive Barker could write.

In short, this is an incredibly bizarre, incredibly original book that defies description.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great and Secret Show.