Robin's Reviews > The Dreamers

The Dreamers by Karen Thompson Walker

bookshelves: z2019-january, z2019-pub

I loved Walker's first book, AGE OF MIRACLES and her sophomore effort did not disappoint.

I agree with another reviewer who called this eventual realization of an apocalyptic event as a "slow-paclypse" and for me the tone read like a "gentle fever nightmare." There is no major disaster or pandemic, but instead a slow progression of events where there is no ensuing panic with an acceptance of how life is changing. In this case, an epidemic of people suddenly falling asleep and not waking up no matter what actions are used to rouse them slowly envelops a small college town that is eventually quarantined.

But what's most interesting about this story is how dreaming among the "sleepers" is utilized, and the ending was haunting. In the reader's guide, Thompson states that writing about dreams in fiction is difficult as they have no “discernible logic.” This is apt as I am often confounded by how illogical yet totally acceptable action in dreams can be. [Note: the quote is from a reading copy that has not been finalized.]

Fans of literary novels involving an apocalypse or dystopia such as Peter Heller's The Dog Stars and Mandel's Station Eleven may want to give this a whirl when published in January 2019.

Thanks to the publisher for the advance reading copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dreamers.

June 11, 2018 – Shelved