C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Weight of Our Sky

The Weight of Our Sky by Hanna Alkaf

bookshelves: contemporary, historical-fiction, read-2018, mental-illness, young-adult, ya-without-romance

This is such a devastatingly emotional read. Absolutely prepare yourself for heartbreak with this one, all wrapped up in a story of riots and mental illness and a girl just trying to stay alive and find her mother. It's probably too early for a full review sooo I'm just going to squish my little recommendation into your life and say: get this one on your TBR. History is honestly so despicably Western focused and I never even knew about the race riots in 1969 in Malaysia. So I learnt!

And I was also really captivated by Melati, who also has OCD and it's such vivid rep that I felt all her agonies. (That's good writing though?!) I do cautiously wonder at the end when it seemed you could out-think your mental illness if you tried harder? Because yikes. However I don't think the story was advocating that. I just think it could've been a little clearer worded. Anyway I thoroughly ACHED for Melati! Like I can't even imagine what she went through?! Seeing bodies and murders and just...witnessing it. AND having really severe OCD already...ajfdklsad. She amazed me how she kept going and stopped at nothing to find her mother again.

Anyway, like I said!! I'll come back for a full review but for now:

✧ full POC cast
✧ Melati's voice is very vivid and easy to be caught up in
✧ SUPER EMOTIONAL WRITING
✧ very tough subject matter handled so well
✧ like it'll b r e a k you in several parts
✧ no romance! which I appreciate and is rare in YA
✧ ownvoices Malaysian rep
✧ Beatles appreciation
✧ it's a good book, Brent
✧ watch out for it in 2019 yes yes

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weight of Our Sky.

June 11, 2018 – Shelved
June 11, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
October 17, 2018 – Started Reading
October 18, 2018 –
40.0% "hi to this book for making me an emotional wreck

(the OCD rep is so vivid, I feel all of Melati's pain omg)"
October 20, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary