René Roth's Reviews > Das Café am Rande der Welt

Das Café am Rande der Welt by John P. Strelecky

did not like it

Offensive rant incoming.

Fuck everything about this book. Over 100 pages of "just do what you love and everything will work out :)))) just be yourself bro :))))"

NO. FUCK YOU. THAT IS NOT HOW IT WORKS.

This book is thinly veiled New Thought Law of Attraction esoteric feel good wish wash, which at least explains why so many people like it. (Spoiler: many people are kind of stupid)
This book is your college stoner roommate telling you that advertising just like, totally makes you unhappy and plays on your fears, man, just to get you to buy stuff, man, ever think about it like that, man, so deep, man.
This book is your teenage rebel punk kid that just hit puberty and is trying to explain to you how all grown ups do is work and sleep until they get old and die and there is absolutely nothing worse than working for a living.
This book is a trust fund baby telling you to just quit your job and go backpacking through Europe.
This book is Brad Pitt telling you to just be yourself if you want to be more attractive, because it obviously works for him.
This book is assholes in the comment section of articles about mental health telling clinically depressed people to "just man up and get over it".
This book is the one guy you kinda knew in High School and now have in your Facebook list for whatever reason posting inspirational quotes, self-affirming rants, selfies in ill-fitting suits and huge excerpts about his business plans on a bi-hourly schedule.
This book is like Paulo Coelho's literary works had an orgy with every spiritual health pop science bullshit blog on the internet and somebody took the afterbirth of the resulting miscarriage and translated it in 33 languages just to fuck with the world.
This book reads like it was written by one of those creepy "life coach" gurus preying on unhappy and unstable personalities and trying to sell 10 easy tricks on how to have AWESOME SEX and A BETTER LOVE LIFE and - oh wait, it actually was written by exactly one of those guys.

This book personally offends me on a deep level. Fuck you.
And if you found anything in this book even just slightly enlightening, you make me both ashamed and scared of being human.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Das Café am Rande der Welt.

June 11, 2018 – Started Reading
June 11, 2018 – Shelved
June 11, 2018 –
page 45
35.16% "Very intriguing concept. The authors way of trying to be quirky gets annoying quickly though."
June 11, 2018 –
page 72
56.25% "Advertising is bad and true happiness lies within, oh my God how deep and profound"
June 11, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I regret that I have spent £6.99 on this crappy book. I would rather have given money to you for writing this fine review.

message 2: by Nina (new) - rated it 1 star

Nina Thank you for this!

performativeleserin I couldn‘t express it any better. You‘re on point with every letter!

message 4: by Jana (new) - rated it 1 star

Jana I'm only a third in, but I think you got the gist of it. It reminds me of 8th grade ethics, but like... less (didn't know that was possible).

message 5: by Lea (new) - rated it 1 star

Lea Friedel Can you please please please write a book? This review was the best piece of literature I read this year😍

message 6: by Zoe (new) - rated it 1 star

Zoe Kiy aaaaah couldn’t have said it better

Marianne Vestre I hate the book, but love your review. You saved my day with this, thank you!

message 8: by Allan (new)

Allan I’m amazed by how bad this book is and how good your review describes it!

Elham Thank you for this amazing review. I've just finished the book and it made me very sick! Fortunately it doesn't have too many pages. Most of books, movies, most of everything is for most of people( as you said they're kind of stupid).

message 10: by Sophie (new)

Sophie P Dude why this language? 😂 not saying this is an amazing book, but you clearly had pre-assumptions when picking up this one. Otherwise, I don't understand why you would not see that this book is very much not about quitting your job and go travel Europe. This book is about reflecting and thinking about your life and if you love what you’re doing. It is about really thinking about your strengths, your needs and what fulfills you. it could be that you’re stuck in a consulting job or whatever, but you much rather would become a psychologist or a teacher or whatever. Just an example... it’s not at all just about quitting your job and chill for the rest of your life

message 11: by Lea (new) - rated it 1 star

Lea Friedel @sophiep I think you can only relate this if you're as angry as him (and I) after reading a bunch of captain obvious crap and also: you're the idiot who spent money on it + wasted your time reading it + feeling insulted and sick from all this "Wooow I found the key to life" crap. The language discribes pretty accurate how I felt afterwards😁

message 12: by Lilly (new)

Lilly My mom keeps recommending this book to me and your review confirmed my assumption that I do not in fact ever wanna read that. Also love that you just straight up called people stupid. I felt that in my soul.

message 13: by René (new) - rated it 1 star

René Roth @Lilly my condolences to you 😭but let mom enjoy stupid literature, not sure what I'd do in your position, probably spout some noncommittal vague niceties.

message 14: by Ed (new) - rated it 1 star

Ed Love your review! Spot on and a 100 times more interesting than 100 pages of this crap book of a wannabe author and superficial nothing new pseudo-philosophy for the poor.

message 15: by Jack (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jack Imeshi Didn't read it all but agree on the first few lines

Merve Tas Your 100 % right! I read the first 50 pages of this book and thought ‚why is everyone so in love with this? Why is this book hyped that much‘... it’s completely overrated. I was very disappointed while reading and even afterwards.

message 17: by Ed (new) - rated it 1 star

Ed A student in grade 7 could write a better book, probably even in grade 4.

message 18: by Heroina13 (new)

Heroina13 Never have read a better review that described my thoughts

message 19: by Maria (new)

Maria Thank you for the review! Thanks to you I avoided this mess. I love libraries. In the beginning I thought this is going to be that cosy 3 or 4 star story about a library from wich you can get loads of new book ideas, learn about authors and everything a bibliophile loves. I enjoy positive thinking, but I am aware that we need more than that and it is a whole different story for people who struggle with mental health. You should seriously consider writing. Great review

Michael Thanks for your review. It‘s very funny and well written 😉 I had a good laugh reading it.

„NO. FUCK YOU. THAT IS NOT HOW IT WORKS.“

message 21: by Ronja (new) - rated it 1 star

Ronja R Completely agree!

message 22: by Öge (new) - rated it 3 stars

Öge Ka lmfaooo

Antonia Say what you want about this book, but this review is not even slightly better. It’s extremely pretentious.

message 24: by Peter (new)

Peter Colclasure I love you.

message 25: by Molly (new)

Molly Stella Thank you, I enjoyed reading that very much <3

message 26: by Shahe (new) - rated it 1 star

Shahe Reading this book worths to enjoy reading your comment :) it was a bad masochism!

message 27: by Byurakn (new)

Byurakn Haven't read the book and never will but oh I loved this review!

message 28: by René (new) - rated it 1 star

René Roth Michael wrote: "So if this doesn‘t work for you, what does? I am seriously interested in your answer."

I'm not sure if this is an issue with a single correct answer, but I found it very helpful to train one's ability to simply accept some things as they are. Life is not fair, sometimes good people suffer in unjust ways, sometimes the bad guy wins in the end. There are things one can change and things outside of one's influence, it's important to clearly recognise which is which and to act accordingly.
It might happen that you give it your best and send nothing but positivity into the world, and the world turns around and punishes you in cruel and unexpected ways. That's a reality of life (and you should still give it your best and have a positive outlook!).
As for literature, my personal recommendations would be primers on Buddhist mindfulness practices, and Marc Aurel's writings on Stoicism. Not as flashy as most modern self-help literature, probably will not resonate with everyone, but there were at least some things in it I am glad I exposed myself to.

Antonia wrote: "Say what you want about this book, but this review is not even slightly better. It’s extremely pretentious."

But it's free!

Laura I‘m sorry that life hasn‘t been easy for u René! I really am!

And I’m also really sorry to tell you that you will never be able to fully understand what this book trys to tell u about life. And that’s even worse than any stoner boy or rebel Punk kid.

So instead of writing some shitty ‚FUCK YOU‘-Comments for free about the hard work of someone passionate you might consider writing something better and sell it instead of just criticising😉

message 30: by Koray (new) - rated it 1 star

Koray „hard work“ lol

message 31: by René (new) - rated it 1 star

René Roth Laura wrote: "I‘m sorry that life hasn‘t been easy for u René! I really am!

Hey Laura, I'm grateful for your empathy!
I like that you point out how people whose life hasn't been easy will never understand this book. I agree with it.

message 32: by Lea (new) - rated it 1 star

Lea Friedel Hahaha

Arnold It’s comments like these that sour the experience on Goodreads. I wish for a more well-reasoned critique rather than a litany of complaints.