Courtney's Reviews > The Selection

The Selection by Kiera Cass

it was ok
bookshelves: dystopia, young-adult-literature
Recommended to Courtney by: VOYA

Little to no plot. If readers are addicted to watching THE BACHELOR, then they may be able to drudge through this one. The only thing "dystopian" about it is the caste system. There are so many other great dystopian novels out there that readers should pass on this one.

For full review, please visit:

(scroll down)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Selection.

December 1, 2011 – Started Reading
December 1, 2011 – Shelved
December 5, 2011 –
page 78
23.21% "This is a very bad modernized version of 1984."
December 6, 2011 –
page 159
47.32% "Advertised as the Hunger Games meets The Bachelor...umm..please, never compare this book to Hunger Games. That's blasphemy."
December 11, 2011 – Shelved as: young-adult-literature
December 11, 2011 – Shelved as: dystopia
December 11, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by Lori (new) - added it

Lori Never compare ANY book to Hunger Games.

Courtney Or we will go Godfather on people.

Wendy Darling I completely agree with the "little to no plot" observation.

Also, "contrived and predictable" and "Overall, this novel is a poorly
written romance that masquerades as a dystopian novel" from your full review fit this to a tee as well.

Courtney Thanks, Wendy! I actually read your review yesterday and loved it. I don't understand how this book is getting 5 stars.

Experiment BL626 Direct link to your review would be more convenient: http://litnerd.weebly.com/6/post/2011... =D

Not-so-good-romance under a dystopian disguise, gotcha. Thank you for the review. Any book that advertises itself as a combo of "The Bachelor" I stay far far away. Your review only confirms my hunch.

Wendy Darling Courtney wrote: "Thanks, Wendy! I actually read your review yesterday and loved it. I don't understand how this book is getting 5 stars."

I don't either, but to each his own. The author's agent went out of her way to troll my reviews, though, and resorted to name-calling on twitter over my review. It's so interesting to see what they will do once more reviews come pouring in.

Courtney Wendy Darling wrote: "Courtney wrote: "Thanks, Wendy! I actually read your review yesterday and loved it. I don't understand how this book is getting 5 stars."

I don't either, but to each his own. The author's agent we..."

What's your twitter name? I'll start following you.

Julie Graves Awww, I really liked this book. There seems to be a varied opinion on this book that is for sure!

Pandasforever I would agree with you and if I were you, don't read the other books cause you'll either be pulling out your hair, questioning why you're reading this, or both. The second book has absolutely no plot and the third suffers greatly from the first two books not having a plot.

Courtney It's funny that you say that because every teen girl and teacher in my building LOVES this series. I was starting to question my judgement.

message 11: by Nana (new) - rated it 1 star

Nana Lola no plot whatsoever!

message 12: by Ceri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ceri Hughes I understand the point of little to no plot but I just love love love love the idea and concept. I read this in a short time space and I would recommend doing that as it stays more fresh but also makes it feel shorter. Thought I would comment anyway if it helps anyone else in future

Alyssa Eilers I have to politely disagree on this, the caste system is dystopian but isn't the whole idea of the selection kind of dystopian too? A prince gets to choose who his princess is. That's my opinion though. I think if you don't care about the "dystopian" title of this book and are just looking for a little romance then this book is a good choice. The romance between Maxon and America is the main focus of this book anyway and not necessarily the dystopian view on things. That's the best part of this book is the romance and watching America dodge obstacles.